1884 – Court House, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: John MacHenry



Built in 1884 at the expense of the local landowner and Member of Parliament for Lisburn Sir Richard Wallace, 1st Baronet, of Antrim Castle, and demonstrated his significant financial and political commitment made to the town. The design was based on a largely un-executed design by Andrea Palladio for the Villa Ragona at Ghizzole di Montegaldina. It involved a symmetrical main frontage which featured a tetrastyle portico with Corinthian order columns supporting a frieze and a heavily carved pediment, on which was sculpted the Wallace coat of arms and his motto “Esperance”. Demolished, in 1971, in the face of significant local opposition from local heritage groups.