1715 – Green Coat School, Cork
In March 1715, construction started on two schools adjacent to the Green Coat Hospital for children of the Protestant faith. Boys were to be taught reading, writing and accounts whilst girls were to be taught to read, knit, sew and spin.
The schools were opened August 1715 and remained in operation into the nineteenth century. On the entrance to the schools were two statues of a Boy and Girl which are now housed in the steeple of St. Anne’s Church, Shandon. Architect unknown. Demolished.