1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast
Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a lecture theatre. Mill Street is now Castle Street Upper.
“The foundation-stone of the Belfast Working Men’s Institute and Temperance Hall was laid on Saturday on the site selected at the corner of Queen-street and Castle-street. The various trades of the town and vicinity walked through the principal thoroughfares to the scene. The ceremony was performed by Miss Charters. About 3,000 have been subscribed towards the cost of erection.” The Irish Builder, May 15 1870.