1802 – Markree Castle, Co. Sligo
The castle, as we see it today, dates from 1802 with exterior changes by the architect Francis Johnston and with some changes made, mainly to the interior, in 1896. Semi-derelict for many years, enough to be included in the Irish Architectural Archives’ book Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland in 1988. Restored to be a small countryhouse hotel. The interior has a fine staircase hall.
The Irish Builder, January 1 1863: “Anxious that the architectural merits of a few of the mansions of the Irish nobility and gentry—which in many regards bear most favourable comparison even with the baronial halls of old England —should be brought prominently before the public at both sides of the Channel, we commence herewith a series of illustrations—our present view showing an elevation of the magnificent seat of Rose Cooper, Esq., most picturesquely situated near Ballisadare, in the county Sligo. As we purpose giving another view of this structure, we postpone particulars till it appears. We shall thank any of our readers who will direct our attention to any mansions in Ireland of intrinsic architectural importance.”