Merrion Square Dublin
1934 – Design for National Cathedral, Merrion Square, Dublin
Architect: L.F. Dowling
In 1930 the Archdiocese of Dublin bought the park in Merrion Square from the Fitzwilliam estate, intending to build a new cathedral. It never came to be, but several sketch designs were produced during the early 1930s. In the 1970s, the park was sold to Dublin Corporation.
Image Courtesy of the Dublin Diocesan Archives.