15th C. – Clonshanville Abbey, Co.Roscommon
1730 – King House, Boyle, Co. Roscommon
Architect: William Halfpenny
King House is a magnificently restored Georgian mansion located in Boyle, Co. Roscommon. According to Maurice Craig, ‘probably by William Halfpenny, an assistant of Sir Edward Lovett Pearce’ for Henry King, MP. Built in 1730 as the seat of the King family, a powerful landowning dynasty, the house later became a military barracks and recruiting depot for the famous Irish regiment of the British army, the Connaught Rangers. After standing derelict for many years it has been restored.