1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber



Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba College (Methodist) became the founding colleges in the University of Manitoba; however, the College has maintained its strong connection to the Anglican Church. St. John’s College opened to students in the Fall of 1884 with 3.5 stories, classrooms and residence space for 20 students. In 1877, St. John’s College, along with Manitoba College and St. Boniface College became the founding members of the University of Manitoba, where the College is still a strong presence at the University. The building was demolished in 1950 after the College moved in 1945.

Published July 4, 2012 | Last Updated July 1, 2024