Lockwood & Mawson
1867 – T.N. Deane’s Design for Royal Courts of Justice, London
1877 – Civil Service Supply Association, Bedford Street, London
Architect: Lockwood & Mawson
Although much less spectacular than some of their warehouses and market buildings, the exterior of this large four-storeyed building is an interesting example of Lockwood and Mawson’s Roman Renaissance manner, where details are combined with obviously Victorian features such as the pedimented doorway in the canted angle, and the tall pavilion roofs at each end of the Bedford Street front. The materials are those so much favoured by Victorian architects, hard red brick and natural terra-cotta. Published in The Builder, August 18th 1877.