Adelaide Road Dublin
J.J. O'Callaghan (1838-1905)
1988 – Replacing Nelson’s Pillar, O’Connell Street, Dublin
1892 – Former Synagogue, Adelaide Road, Dublin
Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan
The first purpose built Synagogue in Ireland, this building cost over 5,000 pounds in 1892 to build. Designed in a vaguely Byzantine style, the building was extended in 1925 to provide school facilities for Jewish children. Due to declining numbers, the congregation decided to merge with the Terenure congregation and the building has been sold and most of the site redeveloped as offices.
Interior Photograph Copyright Eliezer A. Alperstein