W.H. Byrne (1844-1917)
1890s – Clarke’s Bar, Drogheda, Co. Louth
1770 – Tholsel, Drogheda, Co. Louth
Architect: George Darley / W.H. Byrne
Used for over one hundred years as a bank branch, the Tholsel is a stern and forbidding building in appearance. It is a tall and narrow building, three bays wide on the main façade and four on the side. But the floors are tall, where neighbouring buildings have two floors, the Tholsel has one. This verticality is emphasised by the three stage tower and dome. The ground floor windows are round-headed within robustly channeled ashlar. Converted into a bank branch for the Hibernian Bank in 1890 by W.H. Byrne. Used until the early 21st century by Bank of Ireland.