1922 – Hibernian Insurance (Former Bank), Waterford

Architect: Robert N. Tweedy


In the early twentieth century, most Irish towns had several banks. Over the years, a series of mergers resulted in the group AIB being created, and duplicate branches closed. This is one such branch of the National Land Bank, close to the current main AIB branch in Waterford. The National Land Bank (later National City Bank) was based in Dame Street in Dublin, their head office now demolished – the Bank of Ireland acquired the National Land Bank and changed its name to the National City Bank Ltd. in 1926. Now an office for Hibernian, it is typical of many bank buildings from this period. This limestone building has a three-storey chamfered entrance bay flanked by identical facades to both streets.