Irish Market Houses
Market Square Armagh
Thomas Duff (1792-1848)
1818 – Orange Hall, Armagh, Co. Armagh
1815 – Market House, Armagh, Co. Armagh
Architect: Thomas Duff
On a steeply sloped site in Market Square, the former Market House featured an open arcade of arches at ground level (to the rear of the façade above). Later the space above was utilised as a Municipal Technical School when the top floor was added in 1912. It is now the City Library
Market Square was the civic centre for many centuries, with an 11th century market cross marking its centre. With the construction of the new arts centre beside the Market House, it may once again become the centre of civic events.