1845 – Glendinning Monument, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Charles William Papworth

Erected as a testimonial to George Glendenning JP (1770-1843), Agent of the Bank of Ireland (appointed 1826). Originally a full-size figure of George Glendenning stood above two female figures representing benevolence and philanthropy. The sides facing Market Square and Shop Street were decorated by the Glendenning Coat of Arms, the inscription “to the memory of George Glendenning” faced James Street and Peter Street. The other four sides bore the inscription “born Westport 1770, died in Westport 1843”.

Substantially damaged during “The Troubles” (1919-23) by Free State troops billeted in the adjacent town hall, and as a result stripped of most of the commemorative detailing.

See Also