William Henry Romaine-Walker was a member of the family of dealers who ran Walker’s Galleries. Following his schooling at Lancing College, he was articled for five years to one of the leading Victorian architects, George Edmund Street, at the end of his career. This resulted in his election in 1881 as an Associate Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Walker then went into practice with Street’s manager, Augustus E. Tanner, and together they worked as ecclesiastical restorers, most notably in additions to Wimborne Minster, Dorset. In 1887, they designed the Pitt-Rivers Museum in Oxford and, consequently, various buildings on the Pitt-Rivers estate at Tollard Royal, Wiltshire.