1193 – Grey Abbey, Greyabbey, Co. Down
Grey Abbey was founded in 1193, by John de Courcy’s wife, Affreca as a daughter house of Holmcultram Abbey in Cumbria.
Grey Abbey was founded in 1193, by John de Courcy’s wife, Affreca as a daughter house of Holmcultram Abbey in Cumbria.
Constructed in 1622 by Roland Savage, on the site of a ninth-century round tower. It was occupied until 1731, the castle is in the late medieval tower-house tradition.
Artillery fort built in 1650 by Colonel Arthur Hill – the Hill family built the village of Hillsborough starting with the fort.
One of the oldest unfortified mansion houses in Ireland, it was built by William Waring, who founded the village, and still remains the home of the his descendants.
Much extended country house, around four sides of a courtyard,
The Gill Hall estate was named after a Captain Magill an officer in Cromwell’s Army, prior to the 1641 rebellion he is said to have obtained half the townland of Ballynagarrick from Art Og Magennis for the sum of £150,
Originally built about 1740, the central block has a Diocletian window in the top floor, a Palladian window on the first floor,
The Market House was commissioned by Robert Stewart, 1st Marquess of Londonderry to be the centre of the market town.
Described as “a fine, three-storey, late 18th century block, built in 1781 by the Rt Rev and Hon William Beresford, Lord Bishop of Dromore,
The Temple of the Winds, James “˜Athenian’ Stuart’s banqueting hall of 1785, overlooks Strangford Lough. It had small viewing balconies,