Bachelors Walk Dublin

Not as widely suggested named because it was used as a promenade for Bachelors, but instead was named after a property developer who built here after the quays were extended downstream from Ormond Quay in the 1670s. There has been many variants of the name over the years – Batchelours Walke (1728), The Batchelors Walk (1723 and 1728), and Bachelors Quay (1766). Before the extension of what is now O’Connell Street to the river, Bachelor’s Walk extended over part of what is now Eden Quay, ending at what was Union Lane, now part of Marlborough Street. In 1914, a detachment of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, returning to barracks, fired on a crowd, killing four and injuring many other. The artist Jack B. Yeats later marked the event with the painting ‘Bachelor’s Walk, In Memoriam’

This quay has been heavily rebuilt since the 1980s, with only a few original buildings remaining. The majority of the buildings are poor quality pastiche attempting to recreate the variety of buildings that were here before.