When does an extension stop being an extension?

Home Forums Ireland When does an extension stop being an extension?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #709835
      Blocky
      Participant

      Hi people! I’m a newbie so please be gentle! I’m looking into buying a house; the house is ‘L’-shaped; one side being about 100 years old, the other (facing out back) being about 20-25 years old. Does the newer part of the house still count as an extension (and thus eat into the 40 sq.m. allowed for planning-exempt extending)? At what point in time does an extension stop being an extension?
      Any ideas?!

      Thanks!

    • #797487
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      @Blocky wrote:

      Hi people! I’m a newbie so please be gentle! I’m looking into buying a house; the house is ‘L’-shaped; one side being about 100 years old, the other (facing out back) being about 20-25 years old. Does the newer part of the house still count as an extension (and thus eat into the 40 sq.m. allowed for planning-exempt extending)? At what point in time does an extension stop being an extension?
      Any ideas?!

      Thanks!

      When the planning acts first were commisioned in 1964.

      Any extensions since then are and always will be extensions. As ever im open to correction on this….

    • #797488
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      @henno wrote:

      When the planning acts first were commisioned in 1964.

      Any extensions since then are and always will be extensions. As ever im open to correction on this….

      Sounds correct- November 1st 1964. Before that it’s not an extension, Check with the plannign desk though at your local authiority, sounds like the kind of question the folks at the front desk could answer;

    • #797489
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      Thanks for information. Not good news! 🙁 Does anyone know how to fake blueprints to make them look pre-60’s?!

    • #797490
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      @Blocky wrote:

      Thanks for information. Not good news! 🙁 Does anyone know how to fake blueprints to make them look pre-60’s?!

      i hope your tongue was firmly in your cheek with that last question.

      Nobody on this forum will advise you on how to fool the planning system …..(apart from one eccentric author / developer that is)

    • #797491
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      and what’s wrong with having to apply for planning permission anyway? Afraid your proposal will be refused? If it is well designed the extension should get permission anyway.,

    • #797492
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      Yes, yes. Tongue was level or behind the existing cheek level!

      There’s already a structurally unsound conservatory slapped on the end the extension. Ideally, I’d like to tear it down and replace it with a slightly larger sun-room/living room. Devilishly hard to get any PP where it is though. To make a viable living room it would need to be at least 1m longer than would be allowed.

    • #797493
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      Why is it hard to get planning for a single storey structure?? is it within the curtilage of a protected structure of something?

    • #797494
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      It’s in a Gaeltacht, a Special Area of Conservation and a National Heritage Area. Camels and eyes of needles come to mind when planning permission is mooted! From what I can see, anything new is only granted assuming residency, there’s a blue moon and you’re lucky enough to be wearing lucky knickers on the decision day.

    • #797495
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      but sure, if you buy the house then you are a resident……..
      there shouldnt be much hassle with a single storey conservatory / sunroom type extension once its not an abomination.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News