victorian convents

Home Forums Ireland victorian convents

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #709951
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      often overlooked – but most decent sized Irish towns have one or two

      Detailed exterior drawing of New Magdalen Asylum & Laundry & Proposed Convent & Chapel Kingstown, for The Sisters of Mercy. John L. Robinson, Architect and C.E. 1878.

    • #800071
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      Detailed exterior drawing, with inserted ground plan in scroll cartouche, of St Michael’s Hospital & Proposed Convent of Mercy, Kingstown Co. Dublin, for The Most Rev. Dr. McCabe & The Sisters of Mercy. John L. Robinson Architect & C.E. MRAI, 198 Gt. Brunswick St. Dublin.

    • #800072
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      Detailed exterior drawing of Sedes Sapientiae (Training School) Baggot St. Dublin (For The Sisters of Mercy (1879) photo lithograph. John L. Robinson MRAI Arch, 198 Gt. Brunswick St. Dublin.

    • #800073
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      Detailed exterior drawing of Presbytery & Industrial Schools Booterstown, Co. Dublin, for the Late Monsignore Forde, P.P. & The Sisters of Mercy. John L. Robinson, MRAI Archt., 198 Gt. Brunswick St. Dublin.

    • #800074
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      Detailed exterior drawing of Convent of Mercy, Brickfield Lane, Dublin. Undated. John L. Robinson, MRAI Archt., 198 Gt. Brunswick St. Dublin.

    • #800075
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      And a sample of some fairly standard victorian tiling from the period

    • #800076
      Anonymous
      Inactive

      ST. MARY’S CONVENT OF MERCY, BUTTEVANT. THIS building, which was formally opened on Sunday, 9th inst., occupies a fine site on the western bank of the Aubeg, and within a stone’s throw of the ivy-clad ruins of Buttevant Abbey. The style is Domestic Gothic, and the building, with its pointed gables and massive chimneys, has a very pleasing effect. The material used is local limestone, with Youghal bricks in jambs, arches, and chimneys, cut-stone sills, &c. The internal exposed woodwork is of red pine stained and varnished, and all exterior walls are battened. There is every accommodation for a community of 18 nuns, and a pension school to accommodate 100 pupils. The drainage, water supply, and ventilation, have been carefully attended
      to, and are giving entire satisfaction. Mr. G. C. Ashlin was the (architect, and Mr. P. F. Monahan clerk of works. The cost was about £3,000.
      [Taken from Irish Builder, Vol. XXI, 1879, p.52]

    • #800077
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

      The Building News ~ June 7th.1878
      Dominican Convent ~ Wicklow
      W. Hague

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News