unauthorised demolition in Mt Merrion – must rebuild
- This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 11 months ago by Anonymous.
August 9, 2006 at 12:17 pm #708834cobaltParticipant
From today’s Irish Times:
Developer to rebuild â‚¬3m house
Property developer Fergal Gaughran has agreed to reconstruct a â‚¬3 million dormer bungalow that he bought in the Mount Merrion area of south Dublin and which was almost completely demolished without planning permission.
Mr Gaughran and his wife, Jane, of Holywell, Kilmacud Road Upper, Dublin, have consented in the Circuit Civil Court to “fully reconstruct the house at No 1, The Rise, Mount Merrion, Dublin, to its condition prior to the commencement of unauthorised demolition works”.
Carol O’Farrell, counsel for DÃºn Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, told Judge Jacqueline Linnane that the Gaughrans had consented to the order to reconstruct the house insofar as is practicable.
Mr Gaughran, managing director of the UK-based Gaughran Homes Ltd, bought the house at an auction in 2005 for a reported â‚¬3 million. Last March he was granted permission by An Bord PleanÃ¡la to remove a 16sq m extension to the house’s living-room at the rear of the property and enlarge the home at the front, side and rear.
In April, the council rejected a separate application to demolish the two-storey dormer dwelling and build a new five-bedroom one in its place.
In their decision they said the old structure was “in harmony” with its surroundings and added that “its demolition and replacement would neither protect nor improve the residential amenities of the area”.
Ms O’Farrell told the court that when council officials inspected the house on June 22nd they found it had been substantially demolished, leaving only one small corner section.
She told the judge that the Gaughrans had agreed to fully reconstruct the house to its condition prior to the demolition works save as to the extent of the modifications and alterations for which planning permission was granted.
Â© The Irish Times
August 9, 2006 at 12:44 pm #784035AnonymousInactive
I couldn’t be more delighted that these criminals got caught in the act of illegal demolition.
It begs the question, what do people think are the worst examples of this kind of thing nationwide? In Cork I think it has to be the demolition last year of a former church building off Sullivans Quay which was linked to Fr. Matthew and The Dominican order’s first church in the City. Of course, no real action was taken by the Cork City Council.
August 9, 2006 at 12:58 pm #784036AnonymousInactive
There is also the case of Archer’s Garage:
August 9, 2006 at 1:05 pm #784037AnonymousInactive
This is fantastic, but the one I am worrying about in the back of my mind is the pre-historic earthworks down in Cork (Kerry?) that was bulldozed about two years ago. Did anything happen about that?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.