Projects finished next year 2010

Home Forums Ireland Projects finished next year 2010

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      murrmurr
      Participant

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day, who was adamant that
      projects/construction was slowing down in all areas.

Naming quite a few that will be completed by next year, are there any others I’m missing
      that I could have mentioned?

– Convention centre
      – M50
      – new law courts
      – grand canal square (theatre and new hotel)
      – samuel beckett bridge
      – new luas lines finished (point village, citywest, cherrywood?)
      – monte vetro

Anonymous
      Inactive

The track works on the Kildare line will be finished either at the end of this year or the start of 2010.
      Commuter rail to Dunboyne is supposed to be finished in 2010 (I can’t see it happening though)
      All the Interurban motorways will be finished
      Unfortunately, the City West line won’t be finished in 2010. Possibly in 2011
      The Expansion of Cork Commuter services to Midleton (August 2009)
      The Start of Intercity rail services between Limerick and Galway (August 2009)
      By the end of 2010, cunstruction should be underway on all remaining luas and metro projects ( again, can’t see that happening that soon)
      Airport Terminal 2 is to open in April 2010
      Integrated Ticketing Service is long over due, but will perhaps make significant progress in the next 18 months
      IÉ want to start work on the interconnector in 2010 (but this is unlikely)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Lansdowne?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t think construction is slowing down but it will by 2011 as we’re coming to the end of a cycle and right now very little new stuff is breaking ground. The only major ones that are coming up (hopefully) are Metro and Interconnector and the Galway-Cork motorways. Apart from that we’ll need to wait for an economic recovery before you see anything else.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The Point Village

Anonymous
      Inactive

Leibeskind’s theatre down the docks?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yeah I had the grand canal theatre,

how did I forget Terminal 2 and Aviva stadia haha

even though the watchtower is on hold, is the rest of the Point village
      a go?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Terminal 2, landsdowne and Cork to Midleton yes.

Metro, Interconnector and the Galway to Cork motorway… c’mon who are we fooling here???

We are in the midst of the beginning of a recession which in ireland has meant the avoidance of investment in “non-essential” items such as essential infrastucture.

On the bright side traffic on the M50 will become relatively lighter just as the increased capacity comes on line and the traffic impact predicted for Ikea might happen to be closer to reality

Anonymous
      Inactive

How did you forget this little baby?

I must admit i forgot it myself,should be finished in 2010.

citywest:

Quite big too:

Anonymous
      Inactive

@rob mc wrote:

citywest:

It’s Heuston Gate, nay?

What does everyone think of the building that looks like the Burj Al-Arab? Burger Al Arab more like.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What does everyone think of the building that looks like the Burj Al-Arab?

vapid formalism. performed with little skill and less care.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@jimg wrote:

I generally find you can’t lose an argument after peppering its expression with terms like “modernism”, “post-modernism” or even more effectively, the likes of “constructivism”, “realism”, etc.

@what? wrote:

vapid formalism. performed with little skill and less care.

So do you dislike it because of its vapidity or its formalism? Or perhaps its unintentionally unresolved aesthetic drive? Or even the ineluctable modality of its visibility?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@rumpelstiltskin wrote:

So do you dislike it because of its vapidity or its formalism? Or perhaps its unintentionally unresolved aesthetic drive? Or even the ineluctable modality of its visibility?

no

Anonymous
      Inactive

meiaooowwwwww…

Anonymous
      Inactive

@pippin101 wrote:

It’s Heuston Gate, nay?

What does everyone think of the building that looks like the Burj Al-Arab? Burger Al Arab more like.

No,that never went ahead,and i think it looks very cool,could do with a few more floors though.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@rob mc wrote:

No,that never went ahead,and i think it looks very cool,could do with a few more floors though.

Sure, looks great from the dual carriageway. However, I always see it from the Luas…..it doesn’t look so good from the rear. It presents a blank wall looming over the Eircom Building.

C

Anonymous
      Inactive

The new Waterford cable-stayed bridge will complete this year.
      The Limerick tunnel farce is due in 2010.
      More IFSC and Sandyford office/apartment completions or abandonments as there are many cranes in place in both sites.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What is going to be built in that massive hole beside our version of the Burj al-Arab? There have been cranes and builders working away at it for some time with very little in the way of identifiable structures emerging. Are they building underground car-parking before building new blocks of residential and commercial development or is it something else?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Aha i found it it, http://193.178.1.117/index.asp?locID=582&docID=4130

Apparently the area is called heuston south quarter and the burj al arab building is apparently called the brunel building. All the developments in that area are in the link.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I pass the Heuston scheme every day. It’s really quite big. However it’s quite nice walking past it from the RHK. There’s a nice finished quality to some of the buildings as well as the paving, etc….

Gas, but the “Burj al Arab” building’s curved prongs at the top don’t join, intentionally so too, I suppose.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Cathal Dunne wrote:

What is going to be built in that massive hole beside our version of the Burj al-Arab? There have been cranes and builders working away at it for some time with very little in the way of identifiable structures emerging. Are they building underground car-parking before building new blocks of residential and commercial development or is it something else?

I believe that it is going to be some kind of low rise hotel – it is beind the gardens at Kilmainham so i guess it can’t be towering over them.

I moved into HSQ a couple of months ago and i dont think much (that is visable anyway) has been done with it to be honest.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@youth-decay wrote:

I believe that it is going to be some kind of low rise hotel – it is beind the gardens at Kilmainham so i guess it can’t be towering over them.

I moved into HSQ a couple of months ago and i dont think much (that is visable anyway) has been done with it to be honest.

I see youth-decay. Thank you very much for the response.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The Times building on Fleet St/D’Olier St should be completed by 2010. They had a crane above the site doing what seemed very little for a year or so. The building is shooting up at the moment and it should be filled out by 2010.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Frank Taylor wrote:

The new Waterford cable-stayed bridge will complete this year.
      The Limerick tunnel farce is due in 2010.
      More IFSC and Sandyford office/apartment completions or abandonments as there are many cranes in place in both sites.

Explain? I’m not aware of any issues with the tunnel and I’ve been following it closely.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@pippin101 wrote:

Explain? I’m not aware of any issues with the tunnel and I’ve been following it closely.

ya i thought it was on time and on budget?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m sure he just means it’s a farce that a petty provincial town like Limerick is getting a massive infrastructure project while the poor folk in the Pale have to make do with a couple of light rail lines, some QBCs, the M50 and a public bike scheme.

As far as I’m aware the tunnel scheme is one of the biggest infrastructure projects outside the Dublin area since Ardnacrusha right?
      That kind of dough would have been better used cutting 10 minutes off a commute from Dundrum.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@foremanjoe wrote:

I’m sure he just means it’s a farce that a petty provincial town like Limerick is getting a massive infrastructure project while the poor folk in the Pale have to make do with a couple of light rail lines, some QBCs, the M50 and a public bike scheme.

As far as I’m aware the tunnel scheme is one of the biggest infrastructure projects outside the Dublin area since Ardnacrusha right?
      That kind of dough would have been better used cutting 10 minutes off a commute from Dundrum.

the city is the 3rd largest urban area in the country, and it has a terrible traffic problim, the tunnel will divert 40,000 vehicles from the roads a day to ease the congestion in the city, anyone who has ever drivin through the place will know what im on about!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@foremanjoe wrote:

Well its gonna be needed in the future if not now anyway, thats usualy the problem with this country not looking to the future e.g putting 2 lanes on the M50.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@D-A-V-E wrote:

the city is the 3rd largest urban area in the country, and it has a terrible traffic problim, the tunnel will divert 40,000 vehicles from the roads a day to ease the congestion in the city, anyone who has ever drivin through the place will know what im on about!

Was my cynical tone not evident enough in my previous post?

The tunnel is of course a justified and relatively far-sighted project, it’s certainly a long way from a farce!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@pippin101 wrote:

Actually the farce revolves around the Port Authority.

When the construction work began, the “Shannon Foynes Port Company” decided it wanted to close its Limerick Port facility and invest the proceeds downriver at Foynes thus making the tunnels necessity for shipping a farce.

Obviously the Tunnel was the most expensive option. Facet the taxpayer and the toll payers will have to cough up more money than for say the cheaper Low Level Closed Bridge which would have also been just as intrusive on the landscape as the Shannon Bridge.

Still though even when the port will move down river, it’s nice to keep a maritime link for visiting naval ships or cruisers. Limerick Port has a long history.

Mid-West Roads see “Crossing the Shannon” and “Crossing Selection”.

See also Shannon Foynes Port Company sales pitch to sell the port.

Anonymous
      Inactive

According to http://www.limericktunnel.com

There is an open day Sat week (June 19th from 10am – 5pm) for the public to walk
      through the tunnel before it opens to traffic. It’s approx 900m long under the river shannon 🙂

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News