Pearse Station Taxi/setdown ramp 1980’s

Home Forums Ireland Pearse Station Taxi/setdown ramp 1980’s

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      turnerscross
      Participant

Folks,
      Educating Rita was on TV recently and I was looking out for the scene where Michael Caine collects Julie Waters from Connolly on the old ramp. But was surprised to see that Busaras was not visible and that it was definitely not Connolly station that had been featured, rather Pearse (see attached screenshot).

You can see the Academy building in the distance, Mahaffy’s pub and the bank across the road. The ramp seems to run to Westland Row passing through what it now Trinity accomodation.

Any idea when this was demolished?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It would have been demolished in the mid 90s, I think.

Well done for retrieving that shot, I was looking out for that clip a few weeks ago, but I missed it.

Wasn’t there good stonework to the entrance to the public toilets under the ramp facing Pearse Street. Wonder what happene to that.

There’s something not right about the student block that replaced it, (is this Goldsmith Hall?) I don’t know is it the ground floor treatment with the roller shutters, or the nap finish render when ten grand more would have stone faced the lot, or is it the artless, eastern block, monumentality, I can’t put my finger on it.
      Dispite it’s obvious urban qualities, I’ve never heard anyone say that they actually like this building.

Nevertheless, I suspect we’ll be praising it’s elegant lightness of touch in a year or two, when Trinity build that hulking pile they got permission for on the adjoining site to the east.

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Gone longer than that I think, as I don’t recall it at all. And I worked off Westland Row from 1992

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think there was an an post sorting office adjacent to the station which was replaced by the present office in Macken Street – late 80s I think

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve always disliked that building because of the skywalk-always took it as a statement of intent that the studes of glorious TCD need not encounter the vicious Pearse st plebs and the general hoi polloi. I think that was the start of my lingering begrudgery towards all things Trinners…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Here’s two more screenshots attached that show more of the original building

Anonymous
      Inactive

(oops- never mind)

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tommyt wrote:

I’ve always disliked that building because of the skywalk-always took it as a statement of intent that the studes of glorious TCD need not encounter the vicious Pearse st plebs and the general hoi polloi. I think that was the start of my lingering begrudgery towards all things Trinners…

It was a huge pity that they didn’t get rid of this when the Naughton building was developed.

The problem with Goldsmith Hall is when it was built; its from when, or rather from the last time when, the Universities were being forced to expand on a fixed or falling budget, everything about Goldsmith is crappy, cheap as possible. It looks poor from the outside and is downright bad inside.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News