Palmerston Park (Grianblah)
- This topic has 83 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 17 years, 8 months ago by
johnglas.
- AuthorPosts
- July 4, 2006 at 5:35 pm #762631
publicrealm
ParticipantThanks for all the encouragement folks 🙂
Made the call and submitted the written complaint this am.
On following up this afternoon was advised that site was visited before lunch (!). The person I spoke to was fully au fait with my complaint and very much on the ball (a different person carried out the site visit and I was not in contact with that person).
My understanding is that appropriate action will be taken by DCC immediately. Now I AM holding my breath – perhaps I was unfair in my earlier posts about lack of enforcement?
If action is taken my confidence in the system will be much restored.
Having said all of that I’m still not sure what can be achieved at this stage – poor Manning Robertson must be spinning?
July 4, 2006 at 5:58 pm #762632ctesiphon
Participant@publicrealm wrote:
If action is taken my confidence in the system will be much restored.
Having said all of that I’m still not sure what can be achieved at this stage – poor Manning Robertson must be spinning?
Agreed that enforcement sometimes leaves a bit to be desired (and if you think DCC can be a bit lax, look beyond the Pale for some real horror stories), but great to see this being investigated so quickly. Maybe they were reading this thread and waiting for your call?;)
As to what can be achieved, this case might be a lost cause but if the details emerge about a flagrant breach of PP and positive action by DCC, it might discourage such a cavalier attitude from taking root elsewhere. Monkey see monkey do, and all that…
Whatever the outcome, well done for trying, and thanks.
July 7, 2006 at 1:10 pm #762633Anonymous
InactiveYeah Publicrealm, well done for getting on the case about this. I would be interested to hear the outcome. As Ctesiphon already said, it is hard to know what exactly could be done at this stage. Maybe it should be rezoned as open space 😉 The wall could be retained as a warning to anyone thinking of doing this sort of thing again in the future.
July 7, 2006 at 3:36 pm #762634altotude
ParticipantI emailed a complaint to DCC last week; got confirmation today and they said they would keep me informed as to the progress of the case.
July 11, 2006 at 11:20 am #762635altotude
ParticipantJust received a letter from DCC Planning Enforcement regarding “unauthorised development” – an enforcement notice was issued under section 154 of the Planning and Development Act 2000.
Mind you, it doesn’t seem to have slowed them down.
July 11, 2006 at 11:29 am #762636Anonymous
InactiveThanks for that Altotude. What was done with the rubble from this site? Was the building completely smashed up, or was any effort made to keep the building materials intact?
July 11, 2006 at 11:53 am #762637altotude
ParticipantI think the rubble’s gone. Foundations are down and the walls are a few feet high already.
July 12, 2006 at 1:38 am #762638publicrealm
Participant@altotude wrote:
Just received a letter from DCC Planning Enforcement regarding “unauthorised development” – an enforcement notice was issued under section 154 of the Planning and Development Act 2000.
Mind you, it doesn’t seem to have slowed them down.
Thanks for that altotude – your previous complaint is obviously why I got such an ‘instant’ response. I got the same letter as you re the Enforcement Notice – which was issued on the 10th July. In fairness to DCC this is an incredibly fast response time.
I’m not concerned by the completion of the footings (I have photographs!).
I expect that work has now ceased and I will continue to monitor. If they have not then the applicant will be very unwise and further submissions will be required.
The next step in the sad saga is probably an application for retention (of the unauthorised demolition). A second chance for the planners perhaps?
I await it with interest.
July 12, 2006 at 1:39 am #762639publicrealm
ParticipantAargh – double post.
August 2, 2006 at 2:08 am #762640jimg
ParticipantAny update on this? I live just around the corner and as I passed tonight I made the effort of reading the posted planning notice. It’s dated the 27th of July 2006 and it looks like an application to do what they’ve already started doing even though it is in complete breach of the original application; i.e. demolish nearly all of the existing structrure and build a “modern 2 story residence” and a separate garage.
Allotude and publicrealm, I want to file an official objection; what is the process? The notice makes the point that there is only five weeks to make a submission.
August 3, 2006 at 1:38 am #762641publicrealm
Participantjimg wrote:Any update on this? I live just around the corner and as I passed tonight I made the effort of reading the posted planning notice. It’s dated the 27th of July 2006 and it looks like an application to do what they’ve already started doing even though it is in complete breach of the original application]Jimg,
You may make a submission/observation within 5 weeks of receipt o the application by DCC – must pay fee of €20.00.
I will check with DCC (tomorrow hopefully:) re date of receipt and advise of last date for submission. I think this is one case wher a few objections might focus the planners on the importance of the issue.
I will post details of process tomorrow.
August 3, 2006 at 11:32 am #762642jimg
Participantpublicrealm, excuse my ignorance regarding the planning process. But what exactly is going on here? They originally applied for permission to demolish the house and build something else but were refused. They then applied for and were granted permission to do some work which would involve a “small amount of demolition”. They went ahead and demolished practically the whole house – doing what they originally wanted to do. They did this in a sneaky way – by errecting 10 foot high hoarding around the site hoping nobody would notice. A few people (including yourself) noticed and complained to the council who must have inspected the site and judged that the demolishion did not have permission. So now they’re applying for the original permission again? If this is the case, then their actions make a complete mockery of the planning process.
August 3, 2006 at 12:58 pm #762643publicrealm
Participant@jimg wrote:
If this is the case, then their actions make a complete mockery of the planning process.
Yes, I’m afraid that is the case.
The question is what can the Planning Authority do about it?
Interestingly the argument being advanced by the applicant is that retention of the remaining walls (following the ‘small amount of demolition’) proved unsafe as they were unstable. In other words his proposal was never buildable.
If this is accepted as an argument then nothing is safe from demolition.
Anyway the Reg. Ref in DCC is 4303/06 and the last date for receipt of submissions is 30th August 06.
August 9, 2006 at 10:36 am #762644Andrew Duffy
ParticipantThere is a very relevant case described in the Times today:
@http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2006/0809/1154691538381.html wrote:
Property developer Fergal Gaughran has agreed to reconstruct a €3 million dormer bungalow that he bought in the Mount Merrion area of south Dublin and which was almost completely demolished without planning permission.
Mr Gaughran and his wife, Jane, of Holywell, Kilmacud Road Upper, Dublin, have consented in the Circuit Civil Court to “fully reconstruct the house at No 1, The Rise, Mount Merrion, Dublin, to its condition prior to the commencement of unauthorised demolition works”.
Carol O’Farrell, counsel for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, told Judge Jacqueline Linnane that the Gaughrans had consented to the order to reconstruct the house insofar as is practicable.
Mr Gaughran, managing director of the UK-based Gaughran Homes Ltd, bought the house at an auction in 2005 for a reported €3 million. Last March he was granted permission by An Bord Pleanála to remove a 16sq m extension to the house’s living-room at the rear of the property and enlarge the home at the front, side and rear.
In April, the council rejected a separate application to demolish the two-storey dormer dwelling and build a new five-bedroom one in its place.
In their decision they said the old structure was “in harmony” with its surroundings and added that “its demolition and replacement would neither protect nor improve the residential amenities of the area”.
Ms O’Farrell told the court that when council officials inspected the house on June 22nd they found it had been substantially demolished, leaving only one small corner section.
She told the judge that the Gaughrans had agreed to fully reconstruct the house to its condition prior to the demolition works save as to the extent of the modifications and alterations for which planning permission was granted.
© The Irish Times
August 9, 2006 at 12:43 pm #762645Anonymous
InactiveWhilst I am slightly sceptical of the idea of ‘rebuilds’ I am glad to see this happen, as it shows that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated. What do you think the process involved was? Did the council bring them to court? It seems to be a very similar situation to Grianblah, doesn’t it?
August 11, 2006 at 1:42 pm #762646Ryano
ParticipantMore on this in today’s Irish Times: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2006/0811/1154691577021.html
A builder who paid more than €7 million for a detached 1920s house in Palmerston Park and subsequently demolished most of it has sought planning permission from Dublin City Council to build a new house on the site.
The planning application was lodged by Felix Whelan, who owns Garland Homes, three weeks after he was served with an enforcement order by the council halting demolition work on the original house because it was in breach of an earlier permission.
According to a spokesman for the council, Mr Whelan had permission to build a large extension to the side and rear of the house on a half-acre site at the corner of Palmerston Park and Orchard Road.
This would have involved partial demolition of the house.
However, after local residents complained about the extent of the demolition work, planning enforcement officer Barry White inspected the site and found that only part of the ground-floor front wall was still standing.
August 11, 2006 at 4:43 pm #762647Paul Clerkin
KeymasterMr Whelan said the new house, designed by McCrossan O’Rourke Manning Architects, would be “in character” with the original house, Grianblah, which was built by Manning Robertson, a distinguished architect and town planner in Dublin during the 1920s and 1930s.
When it was put up for auction by Lisney estate agents in March 2005, the guide price was €3 million. With a floor area of 244 sq m (2,626 sq ft), the Arts and Crafts-style house was described as having a rambling layout with quirky interior details and secluded gardens.
Interesting…. cannot say I’m impressed by McCrossan O’Rourke – they must have known he didnt have permission to pull the whole thing down
there should be a mechanism that an architects registration board can smack them over the knuckles for this
similar to a rule in english football – this shoud qualify as bringing architecture practition into disrepute
August 13, 2006 at 11:01 pm #762648altotude
Participantjimg, this information page sets it out easily enough – there’s a fee, but basically you just send in a letter.
http://oasis.gov.ie/housing/planning_permission/commenting_on_planning_application.html
By way of update, the story was covered in the Irish Times on Friday (page 3) and in the current issue of the Phoneix Magazine. (I would link, but both are subscription.)
I’d be interested to hear from others on Archiseek as to what might happen now – would the planners adopt a ‘spilt milk’ approach and decide to allow the permission, or would they impose a fine or something else? Don’t remember the details, but at the end of the IT article (by Frank MacDonald) they refer to an unrelated deveopment where the planners have ordered reconstruction.
August 14, 2006 at 12:01 am #762649a boyle
Participantwhy would someone want to go to the effort to demolish such a nice house ?
they were hardly going to replace it with something better…:)
August 24, 2006 at 7:29 pm #762650Jaypers
ParticipantSuch Pessimism a Boyle… oh and at such a young age too!
This is supposed to be an architectural forum. Surely we all have enough confidence in McCrossan O’Rourke architects that it would be replaced by an even better piece of architecture.
I live in the area and I walk past this plot a few times a week. Personally I thought that the original house was already bastardised by the 1950 extensions and slates.
Pity you guys objected, I was looking forward to seeing what they’d build there!
Is that wrong????
- AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

