New Advertising in Dublin
- This topic has 669 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 8 months ago by
urbanisto.
- AuthorPosts
- February 8, 2008 at 12:13 pm #776917
Starch
Participantcheck this out…………
São Paulo: The City That Said No To Advertising
http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jun2007/id20070618_505580.htm
February 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm #776918newgrange
Participant@ctesiphon wrote:
One result is in! I’ve just heard that the pole on North Strand near the blind shop has been refused.
I’m off to check the rest.
EDIT: No new details on the ABP site yet. (I heard about the North Strand one from one of the appellants.)
Hmmm I’ve heard nothing about my appeals – perhaps that does not bode well for the one on Newcomen Bridge and the other on Summerhill.
Still, even one of these things stopped is a good result.February 8, 2008 at 11:19 pm #776919ctesiphon
ParticipantAnother appellant I know rang the Board today after hearing the earlier news- he was told they should all be up by Monday. Apparently the man from ABP was a bit surprised that one had crept out already.
February 11, 2008 at 9:42 am #776920ctesiphon
Participant@newgrange wrote:
even one of these things stopped is a good result.
Well if one refusal is a good result, what would you call a total refusal of all cases?
Because I think that’s what has happened.
I still can’t quite believe it- somebody pinch me! 😀
February 11, 2008 at 10:00 am #776921hutton
Participant@ctesiphon wrote:
Well if one refusal is a good result, what would you call a total refusal of all cases?
Very fucking awkward for a City Manager and the Planning Dept that presided over such a disgraceful sham. 😡
What moral authority will there be now for the other units already approved, as it is fair to say if it hadn’t cost more than 30k to appeal the scheme, they would have all been appeaaled – and given the 100% refusal rate, it is fair to say that they would have all been thrown out.
Dont get carried away yet CTE – bear in mind the vast majority of these were not appealed, arising out of the punative cost that the project-splitting caused, and therefore there are still about 90 of these that are live… But the real question is what happens next?
February 11, 2008 at 10:00 am #776922Anonymous
Inactivereally ctesiphon, all of them !!!!!! ?
February 11, 2008 at 10:04 am #776923Anonymous
Inactive@hutton wrote:
Dont get carried away yet CTE – bear in mind the vast majority of these were not appealed, arising out of the punative cost that the project-splitting caused, and therefore there are still about 90 of these that are live… But the real question is what happens next?
ah, i see. what happens next ? hopefully the entire scheme will be ahem, re-evaluated & filed under ‘don’t bring that thing up again’.
February 11, 2008 at 10:12 am #776924newgrange
ParticipantThe Newcomen Bridge one was refused permission, the Summerhill one ‘a decision has been made but notification has not yet been sent out’.
: )February 11, 2008 at 10:31 am #776925hutton
ParticipantIts a wee bit more nuanced than first thought. Latest information is 2 passed, incl Henry St and Smithfield, 15 refused.
So 15 to 2 so far…
February 11, 2008 at 12:00 pm #776926ctesiphon
ParticipantYes- I was a bit premature.
5 have been granted, all in the Henry Street-Liffey Street area, and all contrary to the recommendations of the Inspector.
So that’s 17 refused, 5 passed.
FYI, my brother sent me a cameraphone photo the other day of what appears to be one of these signs being installed at Whitehall Cross.
February 11, 2008 at 12:15 pm #776927Anonymous
InactiveRTE News are reporting that its 6 granted, 18 refused – all the larger ones it seems, its on the News at One (radio).
February 11, 2008 at 1:01 pm #776928notjim
ParticipantWell it is an impressive result: well done to all involved!
February 11, 2008 at 1:22 pm #776929Anonymous
Inactivefrom the rte site …
@RTE News wrote:
Permission given for Dublin billboards
Monday, 11 February 2008 13:34
An Bord Pleanala has granted planning permission for the erection of six advertising hoardings in central Dublin.The signs were proposed by the company JC Decaux in exchange for providing 450 bicycles for Dublin City Council.
The board went against its own inspector in granting permission but it refused 18 other applications.
AdvertisementJC Decaux is one of the world’s largest advertising companies. It originally wanted to erect 120 signs around Dublin but later reduced the number to 100.
Dublin City Council granted permission to the proposal in which it would receive hundreds of bikes and four toilets, but 24 signs were appealed to An Bord Pleanala.
The board is refusing planning for 18 of the illuminated hoardings some of which were 4.8m high and 3.4m wide.
However it passed 6 smaller hoardings, 2.5m high and 1.4m. Five of these are in the Henry Street and Liffey Street areas.
Arnotts and the Dublin City Traders’ Association strongly opposed the plan.
Jane Dennehy, inspector at the hearing, recommended rejection for all the signs because the council did not have a formally adopted outdoor advertising strategy.
The board says today’s decision will not set policy into the future.
February 11, 2008 at 2:56 pm #776930urbanisto
ParticipantI have to say fair play to all for being motivated enough to get involved and stay involved with this. I personally don’t object to the smaller units but I think in light of the level of objections to this the City Council will be obliged to rethink things a bit. The shame of this is that a proper strategy to improve the quality of street furniture and signage in the city is put back a few years.
The obvious thing to do its to put in place elements of the scheme funded by DCC and maybe the Dublin City BID and redically rethink how advertising should be presented in the city with public consulation.
February 12, 2008 at 11:28 am #776931hutton
ParticipantFrom todays Independent
Free bike plan to go on despite billboards setback
By Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent
Tuesday February 12 2008A CONTROVERSIAL “bicycles for billboards” deal is to go ahead despite 18 giant illuminated signs for Dublin being rejected yesterday because they might distract passing motorists and pedestrians.
An Bord Pleanala has approved just six smaller signs in the Henry Street area.
One of the world’s biggest advertising companies — JC Decaux — had planned 100 big electronic hoardings across the city in a deal with the city council that would see it provide 450 free public bicycles in return for planning permission.
Some 76 signs have already been approved without objection by Dublin City Council, which has done the deal with JC Decaux. However, out of a further 24 appealed to Bord Pleanala, only six smaller versions were approved by the board yesterday.
Rejected
The 18 “metropole” signs, 4.8m high and 3.4m wide and illuminated, were rejected.
Bord Pleanala agreed with objectors that they could pose dangers, as passing drivers could be distracted by reading the text. The decision to allow six smaller signs in the Henry Street, Mary Street, and Liffey Street area is bound to infuriate Arnotts and other city centre traders who had objected.
The board went against its own inspector in granting permission. JC Decaux had planned 70 signs and 50 advertising billboards across the city in return for providing 450 bicycles for rent from 25 locations.
A spokesperson for Dublin City Council said afterwards that the deal was still on track as it had been negotiated on the basis of the signs approved without any objections to An Bord Pleanala. Dubliners could expect to see the bicycles by the end of the year.
Objectors include Arnotts, the Dublin Transportation Office and An Taisce, who claim the signs will destroy the city streetscape and pose a traffic hazard.
– Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent
February 12, 2008 at 11:30 am #776932hutton
ParticipantFrom todays Irish Times –
Planning permission for 18 Dublin billboards rejected
Olivia KellyAn Bord Pleanála has refused permission for 18 advertising panels, which were to be erected as part of the Dublin city bike rental scheme, largely on the grounds that they would endanger public safety.
The signs were part of the deal between Dublin City Council and international advertising company JC Decaux to swap advertising space at locations around the city, estimated to be worth in the region of €1million annually, for 450 bicycles and four public toilets.
The council had granted permission for 96 advertising structures approximately half of which were similar in size to bus shelters at 2.59sq m, while the remainder were “Metropoles”larger panels of 7sq m standing on poles two metres off the ground.
An Taisce and a number of local residents, city councillors and business people appealed 24 of the council’s decisions to An Bord Pleanála.
The planning board held a public hearing on the 24 cases last October. The inspector who conducted the hearing recommended that all 24 applications be rejected, however, the board decided to allow six of the signs.
The six permitted structures are in areas of the city with some of the highest pedestrian footfall. All are on the northside with five of the structures in the Henry Street/Liffey Street area and one in Smithfield.
Despite strong objections from Arnotts and others, the board allowed these signs, all of which are bus-shelter size, on the grounds that they did not interfere with pedestrian or traffic safety and the impact on the character of the setting would be “insignificant”.
The board, however, refused all of the larger 7sq m structures that came before it.
Similar reasons for refusal were given in most of the 18 cases. The main reason given was that the signs would “distract the attention of motorists and other road users to an undue degree” and would “endanger public safety by reason of traffic hazard”.
The board also found that the large signs were “overbearing and insensitive” to the character of the surrounding location.
The refusals support the Dublin Transportation Office position, put forward at the oral hearing, that the signs located on busy roads would constitute a traffic hazard.
However, the remaining signs not appealed to the board and the six allowed by the board, can now go ahead.
The council said the 18 refusals will not affect its deal with JC Decaux and the number of bicycles promised will not be reduced. It has yet to announce a date for the introduction of the bike scheme, or the proposed rental cost of a bicycle, but hopes it will be in place this year.
A working group has been set up in the council to determine the location of the 50 bicycle stations in the city.
© 2008 The Irish Times
February 12, 2008 at 11:40 am #776933hutton
Participant@Irish Times wrote:
The signs were part of the deal between Dublin City Council and international advertising company JC Decaux to swap advertising space at locations around the city, estimated to be worth in the region of €] for 450 bicycles and four public toilets.
LOL. Who’s estimate again? €1 Million over 15 years to the operator, while the Irish Times previously reported that deal is worth €85 million to the city…Hmmm so the charitable chaps in JC Decaux are making a €70 Million loss on the project. Lucky Dublin. The excellent standard of reporting on this matter by the IT continues :rolleyes:
February 13, 2008 at 7:17 pm #776934missarchi
Participantthe independent…
February 14, 2008 at 7:59 am #776935lostexpectation
Participantso a good result for the blocking the standing signs part from the main streets in the city center, but this deal includes building side billboards too?
February 14, 2008 at 9:08 am #776936ctesiphon
ParticipantThe proposal was always for two sizes- large ones to distract drivers and smaller ones to block pedestrians. All of the ones refused by the Board were for the large ones; all the grants were for the smaller ones.
But don’t forget, over 70 were granted by the City Council and not appealed- this includes boards of both sizes. So we’re getting some of both.
- AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

