National Conference Centre Competition 2005

Home Forums Ireland National Conference Centre Competition 2005

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Rockflanders
      Participant

The submissions for the conference centre competition went in last Friday according to the weekends papers.
      I am sick of looking at Roche’s sugar bowl but does anyone have any pictures of the other building?

jimg
      Participant

Isn’t the full title “The Annual National Conference Centre Competition, 2005”?

GrahamH
      Participant

🙂

A ‘favourite’ is due to be chosen ‘before the end of the summer’ apparently.

Indeed.

Rockflanders
      Participant

Bit negative about a great opportunity for Dublin here, aren’t we?

jimg
      Participant

Sceptical would be a more appropriate adjective than negative. We’ve being hearing about proposals for a national conference centre for years now. In the meantime “Mansfield’s giant heap of crap” has gone up without planning permission.

I would be interested in learning more about the other (Alexander Dock??) proposal though.

d_d_dallas
      Participant

…A ‘favourite’ is due to be chosen ‘before the end of the summer’ apparently.

Which summer?
      😉

Leesider
      Participant
      d_d_dallas wrote:
      …A ‘favourite’ is due to be chosen ‘before the end of the summer’ apparently.

Which summer?
      ]

it looks like we aren’t going to get one this year, so god only knows!! 😉

GrahamH
      Participant

On a related (okay not at all) issue – does anyone know what site it is that the DDDA offered to the Abbey two weeks ago?

John O’Donoghue said it had a lead over other proposals being considered.

notjim
      Participant

they have a scheme for a small, historic-pastiche, venue which will, amazingly, allow the abbey to tour the states, or at least coastal parts of the states, while still performing in their own theatre.

Rockflanders
      Participant

A barge then?

I have to admit thought that any project Treasury are involved in I would be sceptical about its fruition. What was the full story with the last competition? My understanding is that Treasury won it and refused to build. Anyone remember?

Anonymous
      Participant

Yes that is about the long and the short of it, essentially conference centres lose a lot of money and no-one in their right mind would develop one as a stand alone project but would be prepared to develop one as a condition of a much larger planning permission. When Spencer Dock mark 1 was refused they obviuosly did their sums and concluded that they couldn’t develop a conference centre in the absence of any of the elements that would have financed it over a 10 to 20 year timeframe. Whilst Spencer Dock mark 2 is a much better development Treasury have yet to go on the record and state that they are prepared to construct Kevin Roches design on a definite timeframe.

The lesson that must be learned here as that while the conference centre is a very worthy objective and of obvious long-term value to the City, it is a ‘Trojan Horse’ for a quantum of development at least ten times its size.

Rockflanders
      Participant

Are the Government really going to give them the contract again in that case?

Rockflanders
      Participant

Same as 7 years ago

JPD
      Participant

Is that what is being built in Spencer Dock?

There seem to be a lot of buildings very close together, although the one in the front looks good.

Highrise
      Participant

Kevin Roches Design should be built without doubt, it is the most imaginative in the best location etc. Its a pity a version of his design for the entire Spencerdock is not being built instead of the boring 5 storey design currently under construction.

Rockflanders
      Participant

Imaginative in comparison to what? That was what the thread was about at the start!! 😉
      Its the same as the Abbey site in the papers, we all know its on a DDDA site but nobody knows where or what it will look like.
      The other Conference centre site is on Alexandra Dock according to the Irish Times editorial of a while back, nobody I know has seen any designs though.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News