Interpretation of Planning Condition
- This topic has 25 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 16 years, 1 month ago by
Anonymous.
- AuthorPosts
- September 13, 2010 at 8:26 pm #711186
DOC
ParticipantJust looking again for peoples thoughts and opinions. π
I have just received planning permission for a client from a local authority and from An Bord Pleanala (after third party appeal) for a sizeable house extension which involves the provision of an entirely new roof structure and roof finishes to the existing house (and obviously the new extension). The house is detatched.
The roof tiles to the existing house are pretty standard suburban Dublin profiled Marley roof tiles (the ones you see almost on every suburban house from the 1950Γ’β¬β’s onwards).
On the planning drawings, for the proposed extension and new roof to the existing house, I have clearly specified that all new roof tiles are to be plain coloured concrete Γ’β¬ΛminiΓ’β¬β’ tiles (i.e. small flat roof tiles with no profile), as per the clients wishes from the outset.
In local authorities decision, the following condition was stated:
That all external finishes harmonise in colour and texture with the existing premises.In An Bord PleanalaΓ’β¬β’s decisions, the condition is elaborated a little further, stating:
The external finishes of the proposed extension including roof tiles/slates shall
match those of the existing dwelling in respect of colour and texture.In one way, itΓ’β¬β’s all a bit ambiguous. In other ways it not.
My client sees no issue or ambiguity whatsoever and is forging ahead with the Γ’β¬ΛminiΓ’β¬β’ roof tiles, because they are concrete, they match the texture of the existing roof tiles and the colour will also roughly match the existing.
I am probably reading a little more into the ambiguity of the condition than the client or I am worrying about nothing? Any opinions appreciated.
Cheers.
September 13, 2010 at 9:23 pm #814038Anonymous
InactiveMy reading is that the Local Authority’s decision & conditions have been superceded by the Bord Pleanala decision & conditions, so you can ignore the L.A. decision & conditions.
If the new, selected tiles are the same (or approximately the same) colour as the existing tiles and also match the “texture” of the existing (that’s your call), then the roof finish should qualify as being be “in Substantial Compliance” with the planning permission.
ie. The Compliance Certificate requires the development to be “in Substantial Compliance with the Planning Orders”. (That’s the phrase used in the RIAI Planning Compliance Cert).September 14, 2010 at 2:30 am #814039Anonymous
Inactive@DOC wrote:
Just looking again for peoples thoughts and opinions. π
I have just received planning permission for a client from a local authority and from An Bord Pleanala (after third party appeal) for a sizeable house extension which involves the provision of an entirely new roof structure and roof finishes to the existing house (and obviously the new extension). The house is detatched.
The roof tiles to the existing house are pretty standard suburban Dublin profiled Marley roof tiles (the ones you see almost on every suburban house from the 1950’s onwards).
On the planning drawings, for the proposed extension and new roof to the existing house, I have clearly specified that all new roof tiles are to be plain coloured concrete ‘mini’ tiles (i.e. small flat roof tiles with no profile), as per the clients wishes from the outset.
In local authorities decision, the following condition was stated:
That all external finishes harmonise in colour and texture with the existing premises.In An Bord Pleanala’s decisions, the condition is elaborated a little further, stating:
The external finishes of the proposed extension including roof tiles/slates shall
match those of the existing dwelling in respect of colour and texture.In one way, it’s all a bit ambiguous. In other ways it not.
My client sees no issue or ambiguity whatsoever and is forging ahead with the ‘mini’ roof tiles, because they are concrete, they match the texture of the existing roof tiles and the colour will also roughly match the existing.
I am probably reading a little more into the ambiguity of the condition than the client or I am worrying about nothing? Any opinions appreciated.
Cheers.
+1 what Tayto has said, but I also note:
Their original local authority condition wording did not have absolute legal force.
The BΓΒ³rd’s wording “shall match” has absolute legal force and leaves no room for fudging or doubt.You cannot proceed to use roofing materials that ignore this, but equally, given the intervening years in the sun, changes in range colours and weathering staining, you would be lucky to get a perfect match.
My best advice to you Doc is to contact the local authority planning officer and explain the position, requesting them to make the final call.
I would go so far as to put it in writing to them with a sample and either ask for a written reply or get a Section 5 on it.The reason being that the BΓΒ³rd have no Enforcement Function – this is reserved for the local authority only.
The local authority will be the ones taking you to court over this, so agree it with them beforehand.FWIW
ONQ.
September 14, 2010 at 7:29 am #814040Anonymous
InactiveThanks Tayto and ONQ for the replies.
Yes, agree, ABP wording/condition superceeds LA wording/condition. Contacting the LA (by letter or Section 5) to try and interpret menaing/intention of wording and what they consider accepatble is probably the only route.
Thanks again.
September 14, 2010 at 10:49 am #814041Anonymous
InactiveIt might not be that ambiguous. Only the BP condition counts and it says the “external finish…shall match…in colour and texture”. There can’t be much doubt that a roof made of small flat “plain” tiles is a completely different texture to one finished in large wriggly tiles, even if the surface of the tiles themselves have similar textures.
I read a newspaper account last week of a planning appeal in England by Rowan Atkinson in which he argued (I think successfully) that “harmonises” means different from, but the Bord didn’t use that word.September 14, 2010 at 11:04 am #814042Anonymous
InactiveThanks goneill.
I think your point is concise – that’s where myself and my client may differ in our intrepretations of the condition.
Colour is not an issue – there is no problem there.
There is no mention of size or profile of the roof tiles in any conditions. What my client would say is that the condition is simple – the texture of a plain small flat coloured concrete roof tile is the same as the texture of a larger profiled concrete coloured roof tile. Which is pretty much true. To the touch say a Roadstone spanish roll roof tile would have the same texture as a plain tile.
My client is taking the literal interpretation of the condition. I am taking a more universal view of what did the inspector actually mean when she wrote the condition. It’s just a pity there’s no easy way of finding out!
September 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm #814043Anonymous
InactiveLooks like someone doing their copy and paste in the Board forgot to insert the standard ‘submit a sample of materials prior to commencement’ condition. Happens regularly enough with ABP conditions. AFAIK this can be thrashed out at commencement notice stage but a writtwn note on the file/ S.5 declaration is of course preferable.
September 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm #814044Anonymous
InactiveYeah, you’re welcome Doc.
Happy to offer what little advice I can.
Messy situation to be in when you want to get ahead on site.Talk to the planner, preferably a senior planner who will have a final say in referring matters to the Enforcement Section.
You have at least three routes to clarity, depending on advices received.- Formal Submission of Materials with Covering Letter requiring reply.
- Formal Section 5 Declaration
- Formal Referral to An BΓΒ³rd PleanΓΒ‘la.
“Interpretation” is not really an option in case the planners go berserk on enforcement next year.
ONQ.
September 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm #814045Anonymous
InactiveThanks tommyt and again onq.
Yes I agree onq, they are the 3 routes to get a formal answer on this issue.
What I will do is put these coruses of action to my client (in writing of course!) and get him to respond to me in writing. If he wants to proceed then on his interpretation, then so be it, it’s on his own head.
My fear, obvioulsy along with my clients, is that they do in fact want the larger ‘Marley’ style tiles to match the existing, which neither of us want! The fear on the other side is that given the level of objection to the development I have no doubt the enforcement section of the LA will be visiting at some point! π
September 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm #814046Anonymous
InactiveThis doesn’t rest with your client at all Doc.
It rests with you and the liability you are willing to take on with this small job – on behalf of your client – when you eventually issue your Opinion of Compliance with Planning Permission.
“Your mission Jim, should you choose to accept it…” is to make sure your client realises that he is obliged to carry out some form of due diligence – or you are, in his behalf – to resolve this.
This matter cannot be left hanging to suit your client, leaving your office in an impossible position when it comes around to certification.Having thought a little about this, and quite apart from the three ways describe above, there is a fourth route – it does however involve a little bit of semantics.
The Board Condition wording is as follows; –The external finishes of the proposed extension including roof tiles/slates shall
match those of the existing dwelling in respect of colour and textureThere is a distance between saying “the existing roof tiles/slates” and saying “those of the existing dwelling”.
For example. certain works are exempted development and renewal of slates/tiles is one of them AFAICR and please confirm that you didn’t include re-reoofing the original dwelling in the permission.If you didn’t, you might replace the existing tiles NOW, prior to commencement, with something you and your client like and that falls within the provision of Section 4(1)(h).
Then you could possibly use the same tiles/slates on the new roof AND issue your Opinion of Compliance later on without any difficulty.π
ONQ.
September 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm #814047Anonymous
Inactive@onq wrote:
This doesn’t rest with your client at all Doc.
It rests with you and the liability you are willing to take on with this small job – on behalf of your client – when you eventually issue your Opinion of Compliance with Planning Permission.
“Your mission Jim, should you choose to accept it…” is to make sure your client realises that he is obliged to carry out some form of due diligence – or you are, in his behalf – to resolve this.
This matter cannot be left hanging to suit your client, leaving your office in an impossible position when it comes around to certification.This is the whole reason I am ‘troubled’ at this time! π At this point, I don’t want to cry wolf and put hurdles in front of the client. I told him my opinions of what the condition might mean – worst case and best case – and told him I would give it more thought. Thus I am trying to get as many opinions as possible before I go back to him for further discussion. I would naturally be very cautious. I can of course decline to issue and Opinion on Compliance if I feel I may be compromised.
@onq wrote:
Having thought a little about this, and quite apart from the three ways describe above, there is a fourth route – it does however involve a little bit of semantics.
The Board Condition wording is as follows; –The external finishes of the proposed extension including roof tiles/slates shall
match those of the existing dwelling in respect of colour and textureThere is a distance between saying “the existing roof tiles/slates” and saying “those of the existing dwelling”.
For example. certain works are exempted development and renewal of slates/tiles is one of them AFAICR and please confirm that you didn’t include re-reoofing the original dwelling in the permission.It’s a completely new roof structure (and finishes) both to the existing house and proposed extension – as part of the proposed development is raising the entire roof (there is no ambiguity from the planning drawings that it’s nothing other than a new roof) . That fact adds somewhat to the ambiguity of the issue – i.e. at the end of the day, there will be roof tiles/slates of the existing dwelling remaining! π
September 14, 2010 at 5:12 pm #814048Anonymous
InactiveReplacing large wriggly tiles with small plain ones would hardly be “renewing” and would probably not be exempted development. I mean if you’ve got a long road of houses like Griffith Avenue covered with large tiles and you replace one roof with plain tiles it is going to be out of character with the adjoining buildings. And in case you’re in any doubt about that both the LA and BP have demanded that your new covering should match the existing. That means existing at the time of the decision, not existing at some time in the future. I don’t see what’s wrong with telling your client that you think it is clear that they mean they want big tiles and you’re going to be issuing an Opinion which specifically excludes that condition and that if he doesnt’t like that to follow one of the three routes described above. In writing as you say.
September 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm #814049Anonymous
InactiveThanks goneill for you reply – the truth hurts sometimes! Your understanding is pretty much what’s at the back of my mind (my subconscious understanding too). Client devastation will possibly follow shortly!
September 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm #814050Anonymous
InactiveDoc,
I thought you’d be a man for wonadem ODOS solutions or a Zinc roof or whatever.
What’s all this Tile Trad stuff about anyway – thought I was the trad head here.
π
ONQ.
September 15, 2010 at 7:22 am #814051Anonymous
Inactive@onq wrote:
Doc,
I thought you’d be a man for wonadem ODOS solutions or a Zinc roof or whatever.
What’s all this Tile Trad stuff about anyway – thought I was the trad head here.
π
ONQ.
π We can’t all be starchitects! :p
Still battling with the ambiguity this morning. :confused:
My latest thoughts are that the ABP condition is a simple copy and paste job and the intention of the condition is standard for any extension, i.e. the roof finishes to the proposed extension should match the existing house. The fact they have stated ’tiles/slate’ leads me to believe this is a standard condition. Have re-read the ABP inspectors report and nowhere within her consideration is materials and/or roof tiles mentioned.
Yes, in this case there is an extension but also there is a completely new roof to the existing house requiring new roof finishes as well.
September 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm #814052Anonymous
Inactive@DOC wrote:
π We can’t all be starchitects! :p
Still battling with the ambiguity this morning. :confused:
My latest thoughts are that the ABP condition is a simple copy and paste job and the intention of the condition is standard for any extension, i.e. the roof finishes to the proposed extension should match the existing house. The fact they have stated ’tiles/slate’ leads me to believe this is a standard condition. Have re-read the ABP inspectors report and nowhere within her consideration is materials and/or roof tiles mentioned.
Yes, in this case there is an extension but also there is a completely new roof to the existing house requiring new roof finishes as well.
i normally consider these situations along the vein of “if the client had have applied specifically for this finish, would it have been an issue”…
so far you have said
1. the inspector has made no specific mention of a roof finish
2. the condition states@slate/tile’ which is an indication of a copy and paste type condition
3. there is a whole new roof going on and, i assume, a consistent finish throughout
4. there is no mention of “size or profile” on this condition, just “colour and texture”
5. the relevance or not of LAP or CDP policies to the developmentin the light of the above, and under the cloud of you offering an “opinion” on “substantial” compliance with the planning conditions……
if the client had have applied for these tiles specifically from the beginning, would it have been an issue????
if you think not… and are confident enough to argue this point…. i think you knwo what the next step is.
TBH seeking a decision of compliance or not from an enforcement officer, or planner, to me is passing the buck onto a person less suitable to making this executive decision. Any doubt from the planning section, which is highly likely given my past experience with LAs, will result in detriment to your clients wishes, schedule and probably budget.
September 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm #814053Anonymous
Inactive@henno wrote:
TBH seeking a decision of compliance or not from an enforcement officer, or planner, to me is passing the buck onto a person less suitable to making this executive decision. Any doubt from the planning section, which is highly likely given my past experience with LAs, will result in detriment to your clients wishes, schedule and probably budget.
Thanks henno. Having spoken with a couple of other architects today, I agree with your statment above (some other architcets having expressed the same thoughts as yourself). In addition to your numbered points above (thanks for taking the time to summarise), we did actually specify on all drawings the intended type of roof tile, and as I said above, there was no comment on these either in the ABP inspectors report or the LA planners report.
September 15, 2010 at 11:04 pm #814054Anonymous
InactiveWe’re gone circular now.
This is where I was coming from when I pointed out that you could possibly re-roof it under Section 4(1)(h) of the PDA2000 without permission.
If you have the slates specified, simply show a sample with a covering letter to that effect, confirming that both the existing and new sections will match and get a letter confirming acceptance.
Never fails to amaze me how many architects hate talking to the planners.
π
ONQ.
September 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm #814055Anonymous
Inactive@onq wrote:
Never fails to amaze me how many architects hate talking to the planners.
π
ONQ.
when its unnecessary, its definitely something i prefer not to do. Perhaps i do not hold them in such as high a regard as you do. Once bitten and all that jazz π
September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm #814056Anonymous
InactiveDon’t get me wrong – I’ve been lucky with most planners I’vve dealt with, but I’ve had my fair share of upsets.
Only this year we were given the go ahead for a scheme that would have had me on the pigs back by now.
Instead they failed to follow through on an undertaking and the scheme will be delayed for a long time.
Such is life, but in Doc’s case its relatively minor and its better to be safe than sorry.ONQ.
- AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

