fireplaces – 1930s? 1950s?

Home Forums Ireland fireplaces – 1930s? 1950s?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      JuliusCaesar
      Participant

I recently bought a house of uncertain vintage – no dates on the deeds and it was owned by the same people for a long time. I think it’s either 30s or 50s. I want to do it up in a sympathetic manner – I think the chrome hexagonal doorknobs are original. It presently has a horrible rustic wooden fireplace in the main living room that I’d like to replace. This is a similar house: http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/91-Herberton-Road-Rialto-Dublin-8/453549/

Any ideas as to the date? and any recommendations for books/websites to consult? Thanks.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi JC. I suspect the house is very late 1930s, probably hitting 1940. It could also be of the frugal, immediate post-war years of the late 40s, where style just continued where things left off. The book ‘Shaping the City and the Suburbs’ by Ruth McManus is probably your best bet for pinpointing your area.

http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=205

And yes, definitely get back in a nice tiled Deco fireplace! Best of luck finding one that a) is in good nick, b) can be reassembled, and c) actually exists anywhere (lol)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Many thanks Graham. off to the library, and see if anyone is renovating around the area…….

Anonymous
      Inactive

no Alexander Strang in Rialto. go for some northside pastiche ! buy the buke for sure.:p..

Anonymous
      Inactive

My parents house was built in 1950 and had very similar fireplaces to these in two of the bedrooms and also in the reception rooms.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I had a house pretty much the same as that in Crumlin. The house I think was built in 1937. The front fire place was sort of art deco but the back one was more victorian looking.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@JuliusCaesar wrote:

…and any recommendations for books/websites to consult? Thanks.

This page seems to give an indicator of the styles in vogue in the 1930s.
      http://www.britainsheritage.co.uk/antique-fireplaces/1930-art-deco-fireplaces.htm

Some very art-deco designs there but some of the more classic fireplaces have a shelf sitting in the centre. I have only just removed an oak fireplace from my house dated 1930 which has the shelf similar to some of the surrounds featured on that website.

Anonymous
      Inactive

brainscan: why did you remove it? There can’t be many oak 30s fireplaces left – you didn’t skip it I hope.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Johnglas:

Removed because the two downstairs rooms have been joined into one and having two fires didn’t look right. There is a similar style mahogany fileplace in immaculate condition in the front room which is staying. I have kept the oak surround until I can figure out an appropriate use for it. Maybe incorporate it into a future extra room downstairs.

Brian

Anonymous
      Inactive

Whew! That’s a relief; hope you find a use for it eventually and all the best with your future plans.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News