About The House 2004

Home Forums Ireland About The House 2004

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Suzy
      Participant

About The House is currently seeking projects for this years series. In case you are unfamiliar with the TV series here is a little background on the programme. “About The House” is a building, architectural and renovation series presented by Duncan Stewart, which begins its run every September on RTE 1 at 8:30pm. The programme is extremely popular, drawing audiences of up to half a million people for each episode.
      For this year’s series we are looking to follow the progress of New Builds, Renovations, Restorations and Extensions. The project does not have to be decadent or necessarily have a large budget.
      If you know of any homes or projects that are starting soon that you think our viewers would enjoy seeing please contact me asap on 6617475

MG
      Participant

Between this and the thread looking for information on architects, it’s obviously “Get Archiseek to do our work for us” week 😉

Anonymous
      Participant

Free PR

Exposure on National TV is never a bad thing.

Happy to see Duncan is on the mend, a very unfortunate trip to Belarus.

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Ahhh but we never get the PR…

FIN
      Participant

true..there should be a plug on the show or in the credits at least…

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Ahh I don’t really care… we’d just end up with loads of people looking for bungalow plans….

FIN
      Participant

ha,ha…shiver with the thought. i know a lot of architects who watch it too however and might get some more people getting involved in the discussions. there is a group of western architects that i shall have to tell to start posting. they may be able to show some pictures of designs i wouldn’t be able to get my hands on and other such things. by the by…did u get a grant for the web-site paul?

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

a small one from the arts council…. was very disappointed with this years allocation however….

FIN
      Participant

disaster… how come small? isn’t promoting art? possibly not in the traditional sense i suppose…still some exposure from about the house wouldn’t go astray and might nudge them towards giving more generously next year! there could be scope of providing a service in both directions. u show off there projects and provide link for them and they plug u in show!!! even might get sponership from programmes sponsers…just a thought but it may help..

oh! and while i’m here, ammm.. good show and all but when duncan told a qualified roofer why and how to put felt onto a roof it didn’t inspire confidence in that particular roofer…i know it’s for the lay people but the poor guy must have felt like a complete idiot! liked your idea of doing a few minutes on the apprenticeships…:-)

GrahamH
      Participant

Or the way he talks to the husbands about the structural work, the insulation value of fibreglass over sheep’s wool, the floor joists, and the underfloor heating, then turns to the wife “Now Mary you’re in charge of the cushions, are you going to edge them with pink or white piping? “Oh they’re going to match the tie-backs, that’s very creative”

Ah no, Duncan’s great. Glad to see he’s made such a speedy recovery.
      It’s so rare now to find someone with such strong convictions, and knows what they’re talking about on so many issues.
      He impressed me from his very first programme about 7 years ago – when it used to be called Our House.

FIN
      Participant

how true! and it is good to see that he is on the mend!!!!

aboutthehouse
      Participant

Hi all,

second time lucky…I know you’re all probably very busy but we recieved virtually no response to our previous posting – We have received a substantial number of projects to date from Britain and Northern Ireland however we our still looking for projects in the republic which are architecturally and visually interesting.

What can I do to prick the collective consciousness of Irish architects. Please contact us directly on 6617475 or alternatively you can download an application form from our website http://www.rte.ie/tv/aboutthehouse.

Regards

Suzanne

:confused

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

for fucks sake
      this site is not here to do your work for you – the work that you are paid to do….

see there is a right way and a wrong way…

the wrong way is to spam the boards
      the right way would have been to email me first, and I being a nice person would have forwarded your request on to the readers of the email newsletter as well… over 3,000 interested people…

of course now you’ve burned your bridge…

goodbye

aboutthehouse
      Participant

Dear Paul,

Don’t you think that you’re over reacting slightly!! Sites like yours are supposed to be an information resource and means of communication regarding all aspects of architecture. I am fully entitled to post a request to the architects of Ireland as to whether they would be interested in taking part on About the House.

Furthermore I refuse to believe that your hostile reaction represents the majority of architects in Ireland.

And finally I’d appreciate if you could refrain from swearing at me through email. Perhaps in the future you might be able to come up with more appropriate language to express yourself.

Good day sir

Suzanne Kelly
      Producer

FIN
      Participant

😮 oh!

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Originally posted by aboutthehouse
      Dear Paul,

Don’t you think that you’re over reacting slightly!! Sites like yours are supposed to be an information resource and means of communication regarding all aspects of architecture. I am fully entitled to post a request to the architects of Ireland as to whether they would be interested in taking part on About the House.

Furthermore I refuse to believe that your hostile reaction represents the majority of architects in Ireland.

And finally I’d appreciate if you could refrain from swearing at me through email. Perhaps in the future you might be able to come up with more appropriate language to express yourself.

Good day sir

Suzanne Kelly
      Producer

This is not email.
      This is a private board and site – you have not automatic entitlement to post – in the same way as a paper reserves the right not to print your letter, so do I. I suggest that About the house puts its hand in its pocket and pays for an advert in a paper, or is it one of these shows that takes money for product placement? In which case the money never comes out of the pocket.

I do not allow commercial postings to this site – I regard your postings as commercial in the same light as posts for breast enlargement, or autocad services.

It is also an incredibly lazy way to do your research and it is a practise which I detest. Not happy with starting one thread on the subject, you started a second (which i merged together) – that to me constitutes spamming.

Goodbye.

sw101
      Participant

fuggit. ban the wee masturson

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News