2030 Vision – New DTO Strategy / Consultation

Home Forums Ireland 2030 Vision – New DTO Strategy / Consultation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ctesiphon
      Participant

notjim posted a link to this elsewhere, but I’m giving that thread a wide berth, and it might not be seen in there anyway.

So apparently the DTO is doing a new strategy to replace (or update?) A Platform for Change, and the first phase of the consultation is online. I did the survey and found the questions a bit vague – notjim says ‘fatuous’ – but maybe that’s inevitable at this stage of proceedings? Either way, I don’t think the positivity and ‘here’s one for everyone in the audience’ quality can last- there will be hard choices to make, and pain. (Lots of pain!!) We’ll see how it pans out over time.

Seamus O’G- I’m looking at you! Now’s your chance to shine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

http://www.2030vision.ie/

And if you need a bit of background listening while you’re doing the survey, try this on for size. ๐Ÿ˜€

(Song linked is from here: http://heatherlev.com/)

Anonymous
      Inactive

*bump*

So, Phase 2 has begun…

As before, the site’s not exactly intuitive, and 10 minutes is a bit ambitious to fill it in entirely, but maybe you can do it on your mobile while you’re waiting for the bus? ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, the Measures seem to be very weighted towards public transport, with little mention of cycling at all. Did the DTO not read their Minister’s recent announcement re Smarter Travel?

Anonymous
      Inactive

[rant] Well as someone who sat in TCD almost 20 years ago to hear the Dublin Transportation initiative final report talk about integrated ticketing and such like it’s depressing to see that here we are discussing the same things again.

More bloody talk – how about somebody making a decision and actually doing something? Why do we need this round of consultation when the results of previous consultation is ignored? Why do we need to be asked would we like things to be better – how about using a bit of common sense for a change rather than acting like a 3 year old looking for our approval on every step? This is why people in this country are hacked off with quangos and consultants as all we see are reports and no action – this is the sort of wastage in the public sector that private sector people want to see trimmed – not less frontline stuff, just get rid of the meaningless fripperiers. The dogs in the street know what wrong with public transport, roads and planning – its been the same shite as it was in 1991, just on a bigger scale.

I mean when it comes to the integrated ticketing – it works fine in hundreds of cities worldwide. Look at London, look at the oyster card and think that will do for Dublin – job done in 5 minutes, saving รขโ€šยฌ20million and 15 years of consultancy reports. As Nike say ‘Just do it’! [/rant]

Anonymous
      Inactive

did you tell them that?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@ctesiphon wrote:

So apparently the DTO is doing a new strategy to replace (or update?) A Platform for Change, and the first phase of the consultation is online. I did the survey and found the questions a bit vague – notjim says ‘fatuous’ – but maybe that’s inevitable at this stage of proceedings? Either way, I don’t think the positivity and ‘here’s one for everyone in the audience’ quality can last- there will be hard choices to make, and pain. (Lots of pain!!) We’ll see how it pans out over time.

Seamus O’G- I’m looking at you! Now’s your chance to shine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for reviving this earlier thread, ctespihon.:) I must have missed it the first time.

Whether it is an update or a replacement of the original plan, it clearly is a new approach for the DTO, and one to be welcomed.

The original plan was produced by the DTO, and endorsed by the Minister, without any attempt to elicit the views of the public.

A public who, in many cases, had returned from, or who had visited and studied, cities which had good public transport systems from which Dublin could learn.

And, indeed, in a number cases that I know of, a Public which included people who had returned to Ireland after working within good public transport systems, in various capacities.

Compared to the previous approach, where it was deemed suitable for the DTO and an unqualified Minister to decide the routes of the most important lines through Dublin – in a seemingly willy-nilly fashion – it is positive.:)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well I have to say I have completed the survey on both occasions and I find it a waste of time. Its so general and unchallenging that I dont see the point. I also wonder at the need for this whole exercise. Surely the last DTO strategy remains as pertinent today as it did in 2003. What’s changed! And given that so many of its recommendations remain unfulfiled (integrated ticket anyone? real time info?) what is the value in restating these in another glossy document to fill the shelves.

Also….isnt there a DTA planned. Aren’t we paying for yet another quango (filled with FF hacks) to guide transport provision in the GDA in the future.

Also are they (DTO) only interested in the comments of those of us with access to the internet?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News