Home Forums Ireland 2011-2017 development plan

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      missarchi
      Participant

Dublin City Development Plan 2011-2017

http://www.dublin.ie/devplan/

Public Notice

Dublin City Council, pursuant to Part II Section 11 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 and Article 13B of the Planning and Development [Strategic Environmental Assessment] Regulations 2004, intends to review the Dublin City Development Plan 2005-2011 and prepare a new City Development Plan for its functional area.

The Planning Authority will carry out a Strategic Environmental Assessment [SEA] as part of the review process and for this purpose, the Planning Authority will also prepare an environmental report on the likely significant effects on the environment of implementing the new plan, and the provisions of Articles 13C to 13J of the 2004 SEA Regulations shall apply.

To assist this process an ‘Issues’ booklet, which identifies the kind of planning issues that the next City Development Plan could address, has been prepared.
      To read the Issues Paper and/or submit an observation click on the logo:

An image of the ‘Your City Your Say’ logo

Copies are also available at the following locations:

Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8 from Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) between the hours of 9.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. from Wednesday, 21st January, 2009 to Wednesday, 18th March, 2009 (both dates inclusive).

The following Area Offices from Wednesday, 21st January, 2009 to Wednesday 18th March, 2009 (both dates inclusive),

* Central Area HQ, 51-53 Sean McDermott Street,
      * Cabra Area Office.
      * Bunratty Area Office,
      * Darndale Area Office,
      * Kilbarrack/Donaghmede/Edenmore/Donnycarney Area Offices,
      * Ballymun Civic Centre,
      * Finglas Civic Centre,
      * Liberties Area Office,
      * Ballyfermot Area Office,
      * Kilmainham Area Office,
      * Crumlin Area Office,
      * Ringsend and Pembroke Area Office
      * (DURING NORMAL OFFICE OPENING HOURS).

The following Public Libraries during the usual library opening hours from Wednesday, 21st January, 2009 to Wednesday 18th March, 2009 (both dates inclusive),

Ballyfermot, Ballymun, Cabra, Central Library- ILAC Centre, Pearse Street Library, Charleville
      Mall, Coolock, Dolphin’s Barn, Donaghmede, Drumcondra, Finglas,
      Inchicore, Kevin Street, Marino, Pembroke, Phibsborough, Raheny, Rathmines, Ringsend, Terenure and Walkinstown.
      (DURING NORMAL LIBRARY OPENING HOURS)

check website

A series of Public Information Workshops to be held during the consultation period to which all members of the public and other interested groups are invited is as follows:

Observations or submissions regarding the review of the current City Development Plan and the preparation of a new City Development Plan and/or the Environmental Report are invited from members of the public and other interested parties.

Written submissions or observations should be submitted to the Development Plan Team, Planning Secretariat, Planning & Economic Development Department, Dublin City Council, Block 4, Floor 3, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8 between Wednesday, 21st January, 2009 and Wednesday, 18th March, 2009 or should be placed in the ‘Comments Box’ provided at the locations listed above.

The closing date for receipt of submissions is 4.30pm on Wednesday, 18th March, 2009.

Observations or submissions may also be made via email to development.plan@dublincity.ie
      Submissions made via email must include the full name and address of the person making the submission.

All submissions should focus on strategic or ‘big picture’ issues and should include your name and address, a map (where appropriate) and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc., which you represent.

Please make your submission by one medium only, i.e. hard copy or e-mail.

I feel this is a great time for all those unemployed architects/tech’s to cut lose and make there own local area plans and what have you.

a picture/plan is a thousand words😀

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have some ideas that would look more convincing if put into diagrams, than explained in lengthy blocks of text, no matter how well worded. Simple ideas, but worth putting out there. I will draw them up, hopefully, when I get a bit of space in my schedule. But as a general comment, it did strike me today whilst walking around the Rathgar area, a nice residential, heavily landscaped road, and remembering a chat I had about electric vehicles – why don’t we try and do something with electric buses? I mean, the trouble with electric lorries, which have been tried as I understand it, is they might unexpectedly run out of juice. But with buses, surely, within certain parameters, you do know what you needs for power would be, and you could organise for charging stations to be available at either end of the route. The reason I say that, is when I walked along the nice tree lined avenue in Rathgar, a bus passed me out. It was like smoking a pack of cigarettes. I said to myself, you are surely going to be a thing of the past shortly.

Then I walked a long a bit further, and found a sight even more objectionable to me. Maybe other people can deal with this, people who are avid motorists, smokers and mobile phone users. But a lady was driving along in a new BMW, holding a mobile to her ear, and a cigarette in the other hand! I have no idea what was driving the car, it must have been artificial intelligence, like Knight Rider or something. But, I am beginning to think the environmental problem in Ireland is largely psychological, as Sean O’Laoire and others have expressed. As Irish people we are very attached to this notion of the automobile, as your own personal space, for getting from A to B. I understand now, why passionate urbanists in particular, view car occupants as hostile towards urbanism and the joyous experiences it might have to offer. Even when surrounded by tree lined architectural and urban planning grace and beauty, we tend to show a side of ourselves, which is less than savory.

Anyone in doubt, aught to sit down shortly a read Mike Davis’s book, Planet of Slums, which describes heavily inhabited places on earth which don’t even have sanitation. It is important to have yard sticks like this, to compare with what we do enjoy, and are very priveleged to have here in cities such as Dublin. But in terms of car usage, I suspect, we use the notion of climate and its un-predictability here in Ireland too much. Last week it was snowing, now it is like springtime. That’s Irish weather for you. You never know what to wear. But perhaps, if we weren’t so concerned our designer high heel shoes are likely to get wet, soiled, or worn out. Maybe we would not need to have that BMW under our bums (with a cigarette and a phone). And lived/dressed in a manner which enabled us to move about – and adjusted our attitudes towards a more eco-dress style or something, less formal. Given our unpredictable climate, a more practical attitude towards dress might be worth considering, as part of the development plan. I am fighting a losing battle, but what do other people think? Would we all end up looking too under-dressed? It is a genuine question, and one I don’t think the Green movement have accounted for. There is no point in trying to save a good pair of trousers, from the things that happen to it while cycling. (I will leave your own imagination to work on that)

Brian O’ Hanlon

Anonymous
      Inactive

@garethace wrote:

I have some ideas that would look more convincing if put into diagrams, than explained in lengthy blocks of text […] I will draw them up

Why break the habit of a lifetime? 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive

Electric vans have been around for a very long time. At one stage Ballsbridge seemed to be dominated by them with large fleets from the Swastika laundry and Johnston Mooney and O’Brien Bakery (situated a couple of hundred yards apart) buzzing around the streets. I don’t recall ever seeing one broken down. There were also numerous milk floats, as there still are in Britain, so technically I don’t thinks its a problem. In some parts of the US golf carts are allowed on public roads. I enquired about the liklihood of that being allowed here and am informed that it could happen soon.

Anonymous
      Inactive

That is what I am afraid of. Rickshaw drivers around Grafton St, are really only opportunist hiding behind a mask of carbon friendliness. While they manage to clog up crucial busy bus routes in places such as Dawson St. That is why I am suggesting we lump all our efforts into something substantial, like electric buses, rather than into half-measures, and PR-friendly imagineering, such as the ‘green’ richshaw invention.

Even green taxis, within the city centre area, which would shuttle people to and forth to public transport nodes, would make some sense. You are up against a vested interest there again though, in motorised taxi vehicles drivers, who are unlikely to sacrifice multi-functionality of car taxis, to sit inside some Ice-cream lorry sort of contraption. Talk about a step down in the world.

Brian O’ Hanlon

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News