15-storey hotel for Sligo gets council’s approval

Home Forums Ireland 15-storey hotel for Sligo gets council’s approval

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew Duffy
      Participant

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2004/0428/2102658864HM2SKYSCRAPER.html

15-storey hotel for Sligo gets council’s approval

Developers have been given the go-ahead for a 15-storey hotel at the main entrance to Sligo town, despite objections from residents, business people and environmentalists.

Sligo County Council gave permission to Galway-based developers Glenman Corporation to build the 144-bedroom hotel with leisure and conference facilities and 332 parking spaces at Carraroe, two miles from the town centre on the Dublin road.

The council laid down a number of conditions, including that the builders pay €500,000 for sewerage, water supply services and footpaths.

Objectors included local residents, businesses, An Taisce and the National Roads Authority.

An appeal to An Bord Pleanála is being considered.

Mr Pádraig Gorman, chairman of the Carraroe Development Committee, said: “We would welcome every type of development: hotel, office block, retail park. Nothing is excluded.

“But we ask that they be built outwards rather than up. Cut down the heights,” Mr Gorman said.

Other applications with the council for the area include plans for a 10-storey office block and a warehouse/office complex.

I like the URL – “skyscraper” indeed. Anyone know who the architects are?

Andrew Duffy
      Participant

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1171491&issue_id=10790

‘Skyscraper’ hotel to overlook Westlife singer’s lavish home

SLIGO is to have its first skyscraper hotel soaring 15 storeys high.

Future guests at the hotel could enjoy a bird’s eye view of the home of Westlife star, Shane Filan.

The 144-bedroomed, 15-storey Queen Maeve Hotel with an underground car park is to be located just north of the Carraroe roundabout, two miles south of Sligo town.

It has been granted planning permission by Sligo County Council, subject to stringent planning conditions.

Included in the conditions is the payment of €0.5m for the provision of a sewerage and water supply services and footpaths.

Situated just off the same roundabout is the palatial home of Westlife’s Shane Filan and his wife Gillian, complete with stables and garages for Shane’s extensive car collection.

The new hotel will also tower over a nearby state-of-the-art lighting emporium, Clifford Electrical, the owners of which have been some of the main objectors to the development.

Other objectors included the Carraroe Development Committee, An Taisce and the National Roads’ Authority.

Meanwhile, a new €100m tourism project has been proposed for Co Longford.

The proposal for the development on 650 acres of land just outside Longford town includes plans for a new 200-bed hotel, a 27 acres golf course and more than 100 houses.

It received unanimous provisional approval from councillors when it was unveiled at the county council’s monthly meeting.

The development is to be built on the old Carrigglass estate, about three miles from Longford town.

If built, it will be the single biggest development of its kind in the region.

The plan includes the retention of the existing Carrigglass Manor, a listed building dating from 1776, which is to be turned into a small period hotel.

It also includes the retention of six gate houses, the redevelopment of stables, the construction of a 27-hole international standard golf course adjoining the 200-bed hotel, a club house and other related facilities.

More than 100 housing units are to be built in a village within the estate.

Anita Guidera and Tom Felle

Oh, and the architect is Hugh Kelly of Murray O’Laoire:
      http://www.murrayolaoire.com/people/directors/hughkellyi.html

-Donnacha-
      Participant

“But we ask that they be built outwards rather than up. Cut down the heights”

Build outwards? Does this guy seriously think thats a good idea? What is it with Irish people that they think urban sprawl is preferable to taller buildings?

anto
      Participant

But this building is not in the town but in the suburbs, am I correct? Suppossed to act as a gateway building….

Anonymous
      Inactive

at the first major intersection as you enter Sligo from the east. Not urban…….but not suburban either

Anonymous
      Inactive

is it ‘edge city’ or ‘ex-urban’ sort of stuff Alan?

Mob79
      Participant

Its green fields on a roundabout with a few bungalows around, sligo’s over a large hill, doubt you could see sligo from the top floor or the top floor from sligo. Saw a picture of it a while back, like a skinny version of the one in limerick, horrid business park material.

Anonymous
      Inactive

well if you’re talking about the site Phil, it’s typical of the non descript and characterless areas you often find at the entrance way to many regional towns. Big feckin roundabout and new road leading into Sligo.

A 15 storey hotel though, will certainly be a surprise.

Anonymous
      Inactive

“A 15 storey hotel though, will certainly be a surprise.”

It certainly will.

Thanks for that

Phil

FIN
      Participant

brave decision by planners up there. well done to them!

Mob79
      Participant

Would have been nicer somewhere in town though, even if anything develops around it its still pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hav’nt seen the design myself Mob but just where in town would you put it? Thought it was horrid business park material?

-Donnacha-
      Participant

There’s a pic of the model in the Indo today. Big, ugly grey slab.

Anonymous
      Inactive

ach……don’t say that to me Andrew. How feckin depressing

I had hoped it would be excellent. Give me something to cling to: the belief that eventually quality prevails

Mob79
      Participant

Probably somewhere similar as in limerick, towards the end of the quays and hope for the best to develop around it and become an extension of the town. Have you seen the plans for the site of the silver swan hotel and continuing down along the river. 4/5 storey mediocrity, stone clad, pitched rooves, round turrets. I don’t know how people think this is appropriate. Clean modern designs bear alot more relevance to the look of an irish town in my opinion. Sorry gone a bit off the thread there.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The Swan Hotel site, eh? Now there is a setting that is one of the best in all Ireland for a town hotel.

It is indeed desperate that the design does not live up to it

Mob79
      Participant

I’ll take that back, just saw the photo in the independent, not bad but definitely a million times better than the image i saw previously, think it was a first cousin of that golden can proposal for Salthill.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What the heck is it then, lads………… a big ugly grey slab or not bad.

Got an image from the Independent, that can be posted? Anyone?

stira
      Participant

Thats a great idea build outwards rather than upwards! Why dont all other countries follow our great example! Infuriating, what narrow minded tossers. Follow Dublins example why dont they, theyll be the tossers dealing with all the problems in a decade or two. Is there no certain height a building has to be to be called a skyscraper? I thought to be labeled a skyscraper a building had to be 120m plus? Could you imagine if that was the case and the objectors had to call them tall buildings instead what gobshites theyd sound like and how backwards theyd seem!

anto
      Participant

why do the papers always get quotes from these idiots. The local free rags in Dunb Laoghaire are full of quootes ffrom wanna be councillors at the moment saying how the new building for Carlisle pier is “ianappropriate” and the rest. Why don’t they balance the article(s) by quoting someone (like an architect) that thinks its progressive etc. Always appealing to the Nimbyist mentallity

stira
      Participant

Your right there Anto, they always want to create controversy, get a few slaps on the back from local residents, all they are out for is themselves.

Anonymous
      Inactive

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=17492

Sky scraper gets go-ahead

An immense 15-storey luxury hotel has been given the green light by Sligo County Council.

The controversial hotel, located to the north of the Carraroe roundabout, was subject to a number of objections from local residents, the Carraroe Development Committee, Clifford Electrical, An Taisce and the National Roads Association.

However, Sligo County Council granted permission for the hotel last week, with a number of conditions. These include payment of more than E500,000 for the provision of sewerage and water supply services and footpaths.

The application, originally submitted in May of last year, proposed developing a 105-bedroom 11-storey hotel. However this application was revised in December 2003 to propose a 144-bedroom 15-storey hotel with underground car parking.

This was subsequently granted permission by the Council’s planning department on April 19, 2004.
      The revised scheme now consists of an underground car park with 218 spaces and a surface car park with 114 spaces and room for coaches.

The hotel itself consists of a basement, ground floor and 14 upper floors, including a bar, lounge, restaurant, health club, conference and meeting rooms.

The hotel is one of a number of developments planned for the area around the Carraroe roundabout. Already applications for a 10-storey office block and a warehouse/office complex to the south of the roundabout have been submitted.

Residents at the time objected strongly to the size of the hotel development. The developer met with residents at a meeting organised by the development committee.

Chairman of the committee Padraig Gorman said of the hotel plans: “We would welcome every type of development; hotel, office block, retail park, nothing is excluded, but we ask that they be built outwards rather than up. Cut down the heights.”

The committee were scheduled to meet last night (Monday) to discuss their next move, which is likely to be an appeal to An Bord Pleanala against the Council’s decision.

The majority of objectors to the hotel are likely to appeal the decision also. They have until May 19 to submit their objections.

I know the picture is small, but its all I found.

CM00
      Participant

This is just another symptom of the Irish attitude of “ah sure build it and it’ll be fine”. Our regional towns have for years just had bits and pieces tagged onto them. A housing estate here, business park there, nobody wants to think about the traditional designs we used to have; terraced houses, local shop and post office, it’s all very ugly. we should follow the example set in Brittany for small villages and towns, rather than trying to embrace any sort of development. It’s Dublin policies of the sixties on a nationwide scale!

GregF
      Participant

WOW ….15 storeys…..jaypers will the local hospital be able to cope with all the nose bleeds and light headedness that it’s going to cause.
      Ah Jasus …sad is’nt it when we consider 15 storeys as being a skyscraper. Land of the leprecauns!
      It will only sink into the thick wooley heads when the island of Ireland is covered from head to toe with regular 2 storey boxes and it will be only then that we will have to discover that the only way is up.

FIN
      Participant

WELL SAID GREG

CM00
      Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t advocating the semi-d, in fact that’s what I was complaining about, Dublin style housing estates being added to little villages and towns throughout the country, sometimes just beside the main street, not taking into account the general growth of the town
      And I think this Design will add a lot to Sligo, not famed for it’s picturesque beauty. I’ll look forward to the view from the top!

Irishtown
      Participant

Wow, Sligo’s getting a 15-storey highrise? How long after it gets permission does it take for it to move forward?

lexington
      Participant

Aww lads! (Sigh) This is gonna be one of those things where people think they’re doing something really innovative but in fact, are making a big arse of a mistake. This will be an eye-sore! I am aware of the location and I really feel, if a 15-storey structure is to be built – it should be built in the city centre, not in the middle of Ballygobackwards. Cork County Council had this before with the construction of their 16 (17 if you include the council chambers at the very top) storey County Hall in the 1960s – right in the middle of the countryside at the time. Unlike the proposed Water Street project in Cork city (which will be 19-storeys) high and will be constructed in the city centre, the Queen Meave is void of any surrounding urban infastructure of a sufficient nature. But who knows, maybe it’ll develop the same arrogant admiration Cork County Hall has managed to juice from it citizens.

Irishtown
      Participant

Maybe it’ll trigger some other highrise developement around it so it won’t stick out as much.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Looks to me lexington to be an interesting building…….saw it as a model in the Council Offices. There will be an office building across the road, not quite 15 storey but tall, non the less.

Can’t be in the city centre, Pearse Road is murder to get down and up during rush hour, right on the turn off road to and from Dublin is where I’d want it as well, within striking distance of the airport .

The Radisson SAS hotel, now being built out toward Rosses Point is in my view a horror story. Better an interesting 15 storey hotel than an unimaginative and crude, 5 storey?

lexington
      Participant

Wow – talk about digging up a dinosaur, this thread took me ages to find, but I never remember there ever being half-decent image of the hotel proposal, so, here ya go! (Sorry, but it still doesn’t do it for me.)

sw101
      Participant

that is very ugly

Anonymous
      Inactive

I guess sw101 it’s all relative…………………. wait til you see the proposal for the new hotel in the centre of the town.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I know this is going to sound strange, but I think it is hard for any building to look decent beside a roundabout! There is something about the context that just makes them look wrong.

GrahamH
      Participant

It’s practically on a roundabout!

Doesn’t look the prettiest of structures – but as Phil says it’s hard to view it in a good light given its context…

jackwade
      Participant

Now maybe this is just me, but I think it bears a disturbing resemblance to that Chicago prison Lotts posted in an earlier thread 😀
      http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/Images/TheLoop/MetropolitanCorrectional-001.jpg

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News