Re: Re: Zap the childrens shop – High Street
Here’s a few more photographs from the 1960s.
This view looks east from Cornmarket. The vacant edge in the foreground would have been the site of the two corner properties shown on Devin’s 1909 map which defined the east edge of Cornmarket, with High Street to the left and Back Lane to the right. Taylors Hall peeping up to the right of the billboard.
A detail of the shops on High street. Murphy’s is behind the bus with The Magnet’ newsagents next door and the ‘Yankee Bookshop’ next to it.
St. Audoen’s Church from Back Lane, seen through a gap in the streetscape caused by the demolition of houses on High Street.
A clearer photograph of the east end of High Street with Fitsgerald’s shop at no. 1 & 2 beside the Synod Hall. Fitzgeralds also had a shop on Thomas Street, recently a Chinese grocery, and presently under threat of demolition as part of the Frawleys proposal. Fitzgerald’s were reputed to be the only shop in Dublin to hang their clothes outside the shop.