Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

@justnotbothered wrote:

Why risk losing one of unique buildings in Limerick when so much has laready been lost? Surely the council should be working on these areas before delisting historic buildings?

@justnotbothered wrote:

All in all, I think the view of LBC, Shannon Boatclub with the castle in the backround, from the Shannon bridge, is an iconic view of Limerick, and doesn’t need much improvement or destruction.

The two red brick buildings maybe listed, because they are a 100+ years old or so. If they are listed it still should not be a taboo to re-evaluate their status in light of the regeneration programme of the city especially with it&#8217]emphasis[/B] on the ‘riverside city project’. http://www.riversidecity.ie The new proposal is logically a good one for the Boat Club if of course they are part of the proposal. New facilities would bring more members into club and people onto the river. The Shannon River is a totally under utilised amenity in Limerick. Similar proposals would be good for St Michael’s on Cleeve’s Bank and the Curragour Boat house along side the Court house.

Personally I see very little architectural merit or charm in those red brick buildings as compared to the Shannon Rowing Club on the other side of the bridge. In fact it’s the cut-stone Sarsfield Bridge with it’s once movable metal sections between Wellesley Pier and Poor Man’s Kilkee that should be the major focus of attention and not these small add-ons.

Why not consider a third option which would see the Wellesley Pier return to it’s original state just like Poor Man’s Kilkee is today i.e. an open green space.
In my opinion by removing the red brick buildings it would:
(1) Greatly improve the view of the beautiful cut-stone bridge.
(2) Reveal the once movable part of Sarsfield Bridge.
(3) Wellesley Pier as an open green space would be accessible for every one.
(4) Docking permanently a sailing ship (Maritime Museum) along side Poor Man’s Kilkee.

Image # 1: Poor state of Limerick Boat Club.

Image # 2: Attractive front of Shannon Boat Club.

Image # 3: Rear perspective of Shannon Boat Club.

Image # 4: Site spot for a Sailing Ship (Maritime Museum) as it originally was?

Image # 5: Rare scene of the movable bridge as it opens it’s way to Arthur’s Quay.

Image # 6: Original shot of Bridge with no Boat House at all.

By the way Christmas greetings 🙂 from the Rhine to all the other Shannon-side posters!

Latest News