Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

PoxyShamrock
Participant

@Tuborg wrote:

Although theres no doubt William Street is in dire need of overhaul, I think O Connell Street is a much more urgent case. After all, it is the city’s main thoroughfare and at the moment it’s a total embarrassment, its dirty and neglected looking, many buildings are in very poor shape and too many crap retailers have really lowered the tone of the street, It says a lot about Limerick City Council that they’ve allowed the street to Degenerate so much! There has been no movement whatsoever on the O Connell Street re-modelling plan that was announced over 5 years ago! Have the exact details of the Makeover even been agreed yet?..

Initially the plan was for complete pedestrianisation between William Street & Roches Street , however this seems to have been scaled back since with pedestrian priority treatment now more likely! This basically means wider footpaths, reduced traffic lanes and properly designated pedestrian crossings! A “major focal point” was planned for the junction of Thomas Street/ Bedford Row!.. but I wonder will this be dropped now aswell? A life size statue of Richard Harris is to be unveiled on Bedford Row early in the new year!..

It was announced recently that phase 1 of the Thomas Street Renewal Project (from O Connell St to Little William Street) will be completed before Christmas with the 2nd phase from Little William Street to Little Catherine Street to be finished by next June!

I would love to see something similar to O’Connell Street in Dublin. It’s really impressive, although what gives O’Connell Street in Dublin a really nice look is the fact that the street is so wide.

Latest News