Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@CologneMike wrote:

Tuborg, you had the same sentiments for the other “Royal Hotel” further up George’s Street. See Attached image. The Lynch Group have even shortened the name from the “Royal George Hotel” to simply “George Hotel” as seen in Billy’s image here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52430356&postcount=3 It remains an elephant of a building in a Georgian Street. Queen Victoria would not be amused.:rolleyes:

No point rambling on about it, whats gone is gone but I just find it sad that so little was done to preserve the city’s built heritage. 40 years ago Limerick had a very attractive city centre, nowadays when you look around O Connell street in particular, it dosent make for very pleasant viewing, Brown Thomas, Penneys, Bank of Ireland to name but a few!

Its interesting how remarkably similar the George and Cruises were, almost identical in fact, only difference was, Cruises never seemed to have a balcony while it seemed to be a trademark of the old George hotel. I think Cruises was a family run hotel that was just put up for sale in the late 80s and developers quickly spotted the potential of it. I dont think anyone can deny that Limerick was in serious need of investment in the late 80s/early 90s, a development like Cruises street would’ve been considered huge at the time and the City authorities would’ve been very foolish to turn it down. I just thought they could have kept some of the hotel as a link with the past considering its historical significance, Daniel O Connell even stayed there!

The George is a monster, God only knows how it was ever allowed to distort the O Connell street skyline, of course the AIB werent long in following suit!

This is another picture from the mid to late 60s, around the time it took on its current scale, note the old Munster & Leinster bank to the left!

Latest News