Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

ShaneP
Participant

I realise what you are saying CologneMike, guess we’ll just have to wait for the full report. I think it’s probably fair to say that most of the population growth in the areas you mentioned would be related to the fact that these areas are effectively suburbs of Limerick, given the large percentage of each figure which was assigned to urban growth in 2002. And have to agree with you on the whole place name issue – bit of an odd way for the CSO to work. A 13,000 increase in numbers would be quite staggering especially seeing as the population for the whole county grew by just 10,000. Are rural areas in the west and south of the county dying out completely? Also in comparison to Galway’s increase of just over 6000 – which has been the fastest growing city in Ireland (and perhaps Europe) for decades, the Limerick figure looks to be a bit excessive. I know in some ways it’s all just a numbers game but it would appear that every other city in Ireland is mimicking the Dublin /Leinster sprawl which has to be a cause for concern for anybody who intends living in this country in the coming decades. Maybe a county council junket to beautiful norhtern New Jersey or Houston might be in order.

Latest News