Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

@ShaneP wrote:

That means CologneMike, comparing like for like, that the population of the city and suburbs grew from 86,000 to 99,872. It doesn’t seem like there’s much else to go on.

Hello ShaneP. That’s the problem with the CSO Statistics for 2006, in that they can’t be compared yet like for like with 2002. As the townlands listed as Limerick Suburbs in the 2002 census were modified to give the real city population or unmodified as part of the county population. Therefore 99,872 would be too high as the townlands would yet have to be modified downwards to meet the city suburbs criteria. See my % breakdown of figures from 2002 census below.

See census 2002: http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/vol1_entire.pdf

2002 Limerick Suburbs (pt.)(b)

Ballycummin* (12,382) from (13,435) were classified as part of city suburbs. (92%)
Ballysimon* (8,380) from (9,675) were classified as part of city suburbs. (87%)
North Rural* (6,427) from (6,932) were classified as part of city suburbs. (93%)
South Rural* (959) from (980) were classified as part of city suburbs. (98%)
Roxborough* (544) from (1,678) were classified as part of city suburbs. (32%)
Ballyvarra* (432) from (3,740) were classified as part of city suburbs. (12%)
Ballyglass* (3,851) from (4,938) were classified as part of city suburbs. (78%)

@ShaneP wrote:

I think there was a report in one of the local papers some time ago that the area included in the planned boundary extension would give Limerick a population of about 110,000, but again have no idea where those figures came from.

110,000 could be a more realistic figure within the boundary extension, as Tom Mackey (Limerick City Manager) in a Limerick Leader interview early last year talked of 100,000 population in the greater Limerick area. We have seen since quite a surge of European immigration into Ireland since then.

@Justnotbothered wrote:

The problem with really deciding how big Limerick is the difficulty in ascertaining where is a suburb of the city, and which is an outlying town?

Hello Justnotbothered. We are in the year 2006, it amazes me how fixed the CSO and OSI are on using old historical townland names instead of the present day names to denote city suburbs! A lovely example is Shannon town in the 2006 Census! It does not appear under name of Shannon town but is denoted under the Ennis rural area as the townland of Clenagh with a population of 9,774!

@dave123 wrote:

Is Lisnagry and Annacotty and Castletroy mentioned? and Parteen? are they part of the total Limerick figure of 99,000

Hello dave123.
Lisnagry / Annacotty could be either in Ballyvarra or Ballysimon?
Castletroy should be in Ballysimon.
Parteen should be in Ballyglass.
I would say a CSO figure would be lower than a figure of 99,000. See reply to ShaneP overhead.

Latest News