Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

dave123
Participant

@CologneMike wrote:

I tried to compare the Census of 2002 with 2006. It is very difficult to compile the real population of Limerick city with the data from 2006. I wanted to apply the same list of suburbs (Townlands) as used in 2002. The problem lies into breaking down these townland populations into city suburbs or pure county areas. I have found the following Townlands (highlighted blue) on the OSI Map below: (051) Ballycummin, (052) Ballysimon, (053) Ballyvarra, (068) Roxborough and (106) Ballyglass / Clare.

Limerick City 2006 (52,560)

Limerick Suburbs 2006
051 Ballycummin (16,279) City Suburb (?)
052 Ballysimon (11,260) City Suburb (?)
053 Ballyvarra (4,139) City Suburb (?)
065 Limerick North Rural (7,248) City Suburb (?)
066 Limerick South Rural (1,423) City Suburb (?)
068 Roxborough (1,608) City Suburb (?)
106 Ballyglass (Clare) (5,355) City Suburb (?)

Here a rant about place names (Townlands) used in maps but unknown in every day use!

The Central Statistics Office (CSO) makes an interesting note to their statistics regarding Townlands in Ordnance Survey maps (OSI). I have used The Limerick Street Map and two Discovery Series Maps (Limerick no. 65, Clare no. 58) to try to follow the CSO population trends in Limerick City. It&#8217]Why?[/B]

Townlands
The enumeration of the census is organised, in the first instance, in townlands in rural areas and in streets in urban areas. The townland is the smallest territorial division and was formerly used for administrative purposes.
Population figures for townlands, of which there are about 51,000, were last published for the census of 1911. In many legally defined urban areas – Cities, and Towns – and in most other urban areas without legal boundaries it is no longer possible to compile townland population figures as building development has completely obliterated the physical features by which townland boundaries were originally defined on Ordnance Survey maps.

Electoral Divisions (EDs)
The smallest administrative area for which population statistics are published is the Electoral Division (formerly called District Electoral Division). In rural areas each Electoral Division consists of an aggregation of entire townlands. There are 3,440 Electoral Divisions in the State and their populations are given in Table 4 of this publication.

Great post…. Is Lisnagry and Annacotty and Castletroy mentioned? and Parteen? are they part of the total Limerick figure of 99,000, note that map is at least 9 years old…

Latest News