Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

@justnotbothered wrote:

I don’t see what exactly 4/5 storeys would do the enhance the area, or the river. Looking at how the Claddagh area in Galway in being ruined by apartment blocks I’d be nervous of anything of their type re-appearing in Limerick, especially considering how little Steamboat Quay and other apartment blocks have given the riverfront.

Clancy Strand

Well some 200 years ago, 4 storey over basement Georgian buildings started to appear in Limerick, their height have always enhanced the city e.g. the Hartstonge Street block over looking the peoples park. If the right type of building design is chosen, coupled with a properly landscaped river front, a long row of trees, widened promenade, etc, etc. (i.e. creating a walking amenity / open space). Then I believe it would work. Though I share your “nervous” reservations (Claddagh district), I would like to know how you would like to see this part of Clancy Strand developed or conserved?

The growing population of Limerick is already exerting pressure on building land, the building of bungalows, detached / semi-detached dwellings require green field sites in the country side. The negative environmental impacts of this way of living is not sustainable. The trend to live in city apartments is a more balanced one. Their success depends on having appropriate open spaces nearby. I’m sure we will witness a lot of development yet on the river front (Golden Vale and St. Michaels boat Club?), I dearly hope that they get it quality-wise right.

Latest News