Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

publicrealm
Participant

CologneMike posted

While it was generally assumed that Jackson’s Turret was a listed building, this is not so, according to senior planner, Dick Tobin.

When asked what is the criterion required to grant protected status on a building, Mr Tobin explained that this is secured if a building is included in the city’s development plan or alternatively if it is carried forward from a previous development plan.

I am familiar with Jackson’s Turret. It certainly should be a Protected Structure in my view – it is one of the very earliest buildings on that bank of the river and can be seen standing alone in a very early painting looking across the river (eighteenth Century?).

It is also a building with a distinctive and distinguished design. I once heard that it was connected in some way with smuggling on the river? I was inside on two occasions and the interior is also interesting with one particularly fine first floor room overlooking the river.

Considering what happened to Grianblah in Palmerston Park (see separate thread) its architectural quality may not save it.:(

BTY – it is directly across the river from Dick Tobins office – so presumably he knows a little about it.

Latest News