Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

Limerick’s O’Connell Street Skyline -AIB Office Block and Royal George Hotel-

Tuborg hi, I really enjoyed seeing the collection of photos covering the Todds fire and other O’Connell street locations. Yes Cannock’s building with it’s landmark clock was a gem. Your last image of the Aidan Brooks redevelopment of the Royal George Hotel brings home a missed opportunity of rectifying one of the two sins against the O’Connell Street Georgian skyline. The developer has achieved a lot within the block itself i.e. Lower Cecil Street / Henry Street / Shannon Street (see images two and three below). Could one imagine if he had been able to acquire the former Irish Permanent building or it’s owners had teamed up to integrate the buildings on the block together. For example the former hotel could have removed floors seven and eight. The sixth floor could been extended from the hotel to cover or replace the roof of the Georgian building on the corner (see first image with blue line). There is a good example of this in Lower Glentworth Street where a new office building was built along side a stand alone Georgian house. The roof-floor of both buildings are integrated. Sorry no image available. It’s frustrating to see in your posted image a for sale or to let sign on the corner building now. Alas too late!

Image of Cecil Street by Squid http://thelimerick.blogspot.com/2006/06/my-photos-of-limerick-taken-03062006_04.html

Latest News