Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

hailtothechimp
Participant

@justnotbothered wrote:

Please tell me I’m not the only one who objects to this development terrorism? This pie in the sky project would be a disaster for Limerick. The Westfields Wetlands have been recognised as one of the few urban wetlands in Europe, any attempt to destroy them (which this plan effectively is) must be resisted, If they feel the need to invest such sums of money in the Limerick region, can I suggest that the dockland area of Limerick is far more deserving of investment? If the city council agree to this monstrosity of a plan it will be the second parkland they have desecrated within a year, good work city council!

The suggestion that such a huge development should take place in or around the Wetlands is absolutely outrageous as far as I’m concerened. I fully agree that this unique area needs all the protection it can get…particularly at a time of rampant (and often indiscriminate) expansion.

We’ll wait and see how serious this all is before rushing ot judgement, but forgive me if I appear cynical regarding any assurances about the ‘minimal’ effects it will (allegedly) have on the Wetlands themselves. Walking out to Barrington’s Pier is still (despite the busy road) a very pleasant experience and the view across the river, from the ‘Steamboat Quay’ side is one to make the heart glad, expecially at sunset.

If this is really a serious proposition then I think action needs to be taken to stop the rape of a true asset to the city.

Latest News