Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

Cant make up my mind about the coonagh cross centre, im not really a big fan of shopping centres like these, theres always something very bland and monotonous about them, they all seem to look the same and when you’re inside in one you could almost be in any shopping centre anywhere, they all look the same to me, in fairness to coonagh cross at least they’ve included a public park in the plans, similar to the park planned for the parkway valley centre only smaller!

There has been very little news recently about planning decisions for these 2 shopping centres, the application for the parkway valley was submitted last christmas and not a lot has been heard about it since, the project is located in both limerick city and limerick county councils jurisdictions so obviously a good deal of consultation has to take place, this is a big call for both of them as such a large development in a sensitive area needs to be studied in serious detail, i personally dont think the present road infastructure on that side of town can take the extra pressure, i mean you’re going to have a large shopping centre and office and business park in the one site, thats gonna mean a lot of extra cars, im not sure if the proposed centre is going to have access to the new castletroy link roads?

Id be concerned that a lot of the new retailers looking to set up in limerick are mostly only interested in suburban shopping centres, for me you cant beat the city centre for shopping, it should be THE place for core retailing, the problem is rents and parking costs are too high because the city boundary is too small, limerick county council is cleaning up with rates from the likes of the crescent, raheen industrial estate and the national technological park!, also there is a lack of vacant, suitably sized premises on o connell street especially! If right was right the likes of supermacs and burgerking should be booted out of the street to make way for proper retailers and theres a lot more examples other than these!

Theres still no word on the anchor for the royal george site, a lot of rumours still say its marks & spencer, this would be a big boost especially as a number of retailers feel they have no option but to move to te suburbs as their existing units just arent big enough, hopefully hmv and river island wont close their city stores when they open outlets in the crescent!

Its a real pity about o connell street though, it isnt a patch on the street it was in times past, commercially or architecturally 🙁

Latest News