Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

This is exactly what was needed. More sprawling, out of town retail/leisure development, to the further detriment of the city centre. Planning in Limerick really has become a sick joke at this stage!:rolleyes:

Leisure centre and cinema approved at City East Plaza (Limerick Leader)

By Nick Rabbitts

LIMERICK looks set to get its third cinema after planners gave the green light to a multi-million euro development on the Tipperary Road.
The plans, lodged by developer Ralph Parkes, will see a leisure facility consisting of bowling facilities and games areas, as well as foyer and retail areas built alongside the cinema – in a move which could generate hundreds of jobs in construction and retail at Ballysimon.

Limerick County Council originally called for more information on the plan – named the ‘City East Plaza’ – after it deemed the development could be liable to flooding from the nearby Groody River.

The county authority also sought more information on the means of escape from the complex in case of fire. It also asked Mr Parkes to provide further information on car parking spaces and the type of retail the units will be used for. But the development has now been given the go ahead after the developers gave a transport assessment among other things.

If completed, the cinema will join multiplexes at the Crescent Shopping Centre and Dooradoyle. And plans for a cinema in the Bedford Row are still on track. Fianna Fail’s city councillor Kieran O’Hanlon has said this permission once again brings up the issue of the boundary extension.

“The only concern I have is that (this is being built in] outlets outside of the city centre.

“We have a city centre strategy, and a lot of empty units in the city itself. Having outlets in the suburbs does not do a lot for the city. The county council has disregarded (the city council strategy] in my opinion. They have basically ignored the guidelines, and this emphasises the need for the boundary extension. There is room for more cinemas in Limerick, and I would welcome that but I have strong reservations about the County Council continuing their strategy which takes little or no account of the need of city to be supported as the capital of the Mid-West region,” he said.

However, Cllr O’Hanlon – who serves the city area near to where the development is to happen – has welcomed the employment boost the development would bring.

He added: “In times of recession, a lot of people actually go to the cinema. I know myself growing up, there were seven or eight cinemas in the city, and it was a very favourite pastime. My own children now go to cinema very regularly.”

Limerick County Council have declared the project can go ahead with 23 conditions.

Latest News