Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

gunter
Participant

Buildings at locations like this (the Boat Club) have to be either, very low key (like the existing structures), or genuinely outstanding.

I think the proposed building is quite good, but I don’t think it’s outstanding.

Are there not too many competing design ideas going on? the sloping glazed feature at one end, the old fashioned, modern movement, strip window bit (which is nautical in inspiration and I quite like) and the sloping facade panels bolted onto one side!

If there was some hierarchy in the use of these different design themes, maybe it would work better, but each or these elements is of almost equal scale and, apparently, equal importance. It looks unconvincing to me, like a car assembled using bits of a Hummer, bits of a Edsel, and an airport control tower.

I think that Nevillex2 made a very valid point earlier in saying that, given the ‘protected structure’ status of the existing buildings, the Council should have insisted on an architectural competition for any development that involved their demolition. That would have removed a huge part of the uncertainty about the architectural quality of the proposed replacement, given that the councillors decision to de-list is presumably tantamount to a grant of planning permission in this case.

I take on board CologneMike’s assertion that there’s a bigger picture here about injecting some energy and can-do into the regeneration of the city, but this is a big gamble for Limerick and one that hinges almost completely on the architecture.

Lets hope the guys in Bord Pleanála will still be on top of their game when this lands on their desk.

Latest News