Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

gunter
Participant

@jpsartre wrote:

Of the other site on Nicholas street I only know what you’ve already made ref. to viz. the discovery of a mediaeval fireplace held up the project. (the cafe thing is interesting. In 1785 a ‘cafe’ named the Merchant’s Coffee House was opened next door to the Exchange on Nicholas street according to Georgian Limerick Vol II. Just a thought.)

. . . . I believe the future of this city lies in preserving the little we’ve got left. The old neglected laneways and bow-ways in Limerick . . . . .

I hope ye don’t mind an outsider getting involved, but since I spent the New Year in Limerick, I’m going to be like a kid with a new toy for the next few weeks.

That scrolled fireplace is a beauty, but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg as far as surviving historic fabric on Nicholas Street / Mary Street is concerned. The development of the gallery/coffee shop and offices at 36 – 39 Nicholas Street appears to have been given permission on 14 Dec, but I can’t get any hard information from the Planning Office website, or the architects (Healy & Partners) website.

I don’t know what other people think, but to me there looks to be huge potential in the surviving fabric of Nicholas St. / Mary St. that just needs someone in the City Council to take it by the throat and guide the much needed regeneration towards the kind of contemporary re-expression of the scale and importance of this original medieval Main Street that could bring this great street back from the brink of misery.

Almost every surviving building on the street exhibits some vestige or other of a previous, and much higher status, manifestation. There are finely cut stone dressings behind half the ground floor shopfronts/roller shutters and evidence of early 18th century red brickwork re-facings to numerous (apparently truncated) upper floors. On one of the derelict sites on Mary Street, you can see the broken remains of a barrel vaulted basement peeping through the rubble.

Nicholas Street from the direction of the castle.

There’s a big hoarding on a nearby derelict site heralding your entry into Limerick’s ‘Medieval Quarter’ ! I suppose that’s the first step.

Latest News