Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Fairy
Participant

@shanekeane wrote:

Well I definitely agree that the 21st century architecture is undistinguished, not least the stumpy high rise buildings. The whole riverside is, in fact, an abject failure. But personally I feel that everything that went on in the city centre in the 20th century made a beautiful city ugly: Arthur’s Quay, Penneys, Roches, Liddy Street, Dunnes Stores, AIB bank, Bank of Ireland, Brown Thomas, the lower end of William Street, Cruises Street. Each and every one of these was a disaster. And, for me, Arthur’s Quay was the worst. Now, all that remains of the warren of the narrow medieval pattern georgian streets around Denmark Street and Ellen Street is a portion of the original Ellen Street which still contains antique shops and the like. And they are now suggesting that it is necessary to pull down this charming street in order to build another Arthur’s Quay? Will they ever learn? Why are the city council, ignorant moronic bumpkins all of them, allowed to make decisions on things like this? They have proven themselves incapable of it in the past. I would suggest that there would not be a flight from the city centre to suburban shopping centres if we had a beautiful historic core which is a pleasure to stroll around, instead of a dirty, intimidating 20th century wasteland. So I don’t think the county council are entirely to blame for the city’s problems.

Your not suggesting that the whole of Denmark St and Ellen is going to have to go!!

Latest News