Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

shanekeane
Participant

I’m going to make a bold but entirely serious statement: Arthur’s Quay shopping centre is the worst city centre building in Europe. Considering that its construction involved the destruction of numerous Georgian buildings, the murdering of several city streets, and the cheapening of the city centre in general, you would have imagined that it would be architecturally worth it. But it’s so nasty and cheap and plasticky and revolting, so gobsmackingly sickening in its aesthetic illiteracy, and so completely mediocre in its scale and ambition, that I honestly can’t think of a single building I’ve ever seen in Europe, not in Glasgow or Romania or anywhere else, that is so objectionable. Most of the twentieth century blight you see in Europe as least has some sort of ambition to it. I was in Hunedoara in Romania, a textbook case of Communist ugliness, and I was less depressed by it than by that shopping centre. Who greenlighted this? Who greenlighted Cruises Street? Those two projects alone did more than anything else to annihilate the Georgian character of Limerick city centre. I call that mismanagement. Now when you combine the breathtaking uglification of Limerick with the gradual decline in society due to badly executed housing projects, I couldn’t imagine a more complete mismanagement of a city. Think about this: in a parallel universe, Limerick city could be a perfectly preserved Georgian city, with an extensive medieval quarter, which is safe to stroll around at night.

Latest News