Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

KeepAnEyeOnBob
Participant

I remember that Saxone Shoes building collapsing, I was in the city centre the next morning (Sunday I think). I thought they were doing refurbishment work at the time though?

@Tuborg wrote:

In the late 1940s, the old lamposts were removed from O Connell Street/Patrick Street and a new style of street lighting was introduced. Under this system, lanterns were hung from a series of cables and suspended over the centre of the street. These lasted until around the early 1980s? when they were replaced by the current arrangement.

Of course O Connell Street is set to get new “decorative” lighting as part of its new multi million Euro makeover, whenever that happens!

I can just about remember hanging lanterns on William Street, although O’Connell St. had already the building mounted floodlights the furthest back I can remember (early 80s). Wouldn’t it be nice to be rid of all the wires attached onto the Georgian buildings? I guess even with new on-street lighting on poles, there’ll still be wires on the front of the building for Cable TV, utilities, etc. Pretty annoying.

However, I was more wondering about the solid-looking cylindrical poles that all the other streets in the city centre have, and indeed various outlying avenues such as Clare St./Dub Rd., O’Connell Ave/Ballinacurra Rd, and part of Ennis Rd. These can be seen with older brackets and open lanterns hanging off them in quite a few old Limerick photos (such as the Tait Clock one), and have in some cases just been retrofitted yet again with new brackets and lamps (e.g. O’Connell Ave.) – they also had new lamps put on in the early 80s. They were also repainted a couple years ago, yet again in that dull grey with the black band at the base – I presume this is the original “colour” scheme and no-one’s thought to change it.

Latest News