Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

KeepAnEyeOnBob
Participant

How long was that site a surface level carpark – I seem to remember quite a few of these in the 1980s. Amazing that buildings in Limerick were torn down with nothing planned in their place besides a bit of tarmac (and not much of it if I remember the state of these car parks).

I had seen a photo of that cinema before, but when I saw the photo of the original building above, I didn’t make the connection that the cinema was simply a refurbishment/alteration of the original. I’d still take that over the usual ugly box they’ve built now. There seems no intention anymore of building proper buildings that will look like anything in even 10 years time – although some seem reasonable, like Bank of Scotland house, and the one on the corner of Thomas/Catherine St. (despite the oddness on the top of it).

Interesting to see old lamp posts in the old photos that are still around the city today (retrofitted with arms on top of the pole, some retrofitted again just a year or two ago) – pretty plain and ugly, but I wonder how old they are? 1930s? 40s? 50s?

Latest News