Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@Dreamstate wrote:

I take your point , but Arthurs Quay park was also once enclosed by railings.
Also , the skateboarders previously practicing at Tait now have somewhere to go ( Steamboat Quay Skate Park).
Are you sure that the ‘Goths’ are the ones who made the mess?;)

Yeah Im pretty sure it was 1 of them alright. Although speaking of the skateboarders, I seem to remember the City Council blaming them for damaging the base of Taits clock during the summer, I presume it has been repaired at this stage?

BTW shanekeane, are you actually trying to imply that Goths DONT have bad haircuts?:confused:

@PoxyShamrock wrote:

That’s not actually The Lyric in the photo above.
It’s Havergale Hall, a protestant boys orphanage.

That is indeed Havergale Hall, although it was the building next door that was formerly an orphanage. Havergale Hall itself was built in 1840 as the headquarters of the Limerick Philosophical and Literary Society. It was given an Art Deco twist in the 1930s/40s when it was converted into a cinema/theatre. It was demolished in the 70s and the site was vacant until the early years of this decade when the present apartment complex was built.

Former “Protestant Orphan Society Hall”, now owned by the HSE.

Attached is an image of Baker Place from the 1950s with the Lyric cinema on the left. You can also just about see the old Glentworth hotel which at the time had a highly decorative facade facing onto Catherine Street, which in typical Limerick style was torn down for no particular reason!:(

Latest News